Discouraging morning

Options
Friday is weigh day. A week of being good, calorie wise and exercise wise, and the scales show no change. Lost 6 lbs the first week, 4 lbs the second, and none this past week. I know the loss slows down after the initial 10 lbs, but I wasn't expecting it to stop. This is my first time to diet and now I understand a little why some give up. Thankfully I can read other's stories on this sight and realize I have to continue for the long run and be patient. I know this rationally, but it's still discouraging. Oh well at least I didn't gain and I'm 10 lbs further along than I was three weeks ago. Maybe next week.:love:

Jody

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    at least I didn't gain and I'm 10 lbs further along than I was three weeks ago. Maybe next week.:love:

YES! This is the right attitude! Sometimes our bodies need a little time to adjust to our weight loss. That's why it's good to measure yourself in addition to weighing, because you might be losing inches but gaining muscle weight. Why not take your measurements today, and then add that to your Friday weigh-in routine so you can get a better look at the whole picture? :)
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Jody and keep focusing on the positive.
  • jjjohns
    jjjohns Posts: 27
    Options
    I weighed in this morning too and I hadn't lost anything, but I feel like I have lost a little. My pants fit a little better this week. Maybe it's all in my head but I'm going to stay positive and hope you will too!
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    Keep on it! I'm ten days in, and I know I'll be reaching the same boat soon. I posted a forum question about plateaus a few days ago, and multiple people wrote me and suggested I take MEASUREMENTS in addition to stepping on the scale. Lots of people said that they didn't lose a pound for three weeks straight, but dropped two inches around their waist! I haven't started yet, but I'm going to this weekend. Maybe that's something you might want to try too! That way if you're still seeing a decrease in the inches, stepping on the scale to see no weight-loss might not be as discouraging!

Good luck in all your weight-loss endeavors!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Your calories may be set a little too low. A man typically should not eat under 1500 NET cals/day, it looks like you are set at 1340. You should be eating 1500 plus the calories you burn through exercise. You can go to goals, click change goals, select custom and change your caloric intake to 1500. Good luck and good job thus far.
  • LaurieKPhoto1972
    Options
    Friday is weigh day for me too and my first week I lost 5 pounds and this week only 2. I was expecting another 5 because I am very heavy and it's only week 2. I think as people who have tried and failed at losing weight in the past it is just in our nature to want more quicker and to be disappointed when our expectations are not met.

The VERY BEST thing we can do for ourselves when this happens is NOT GIVE UP! If we can get through these small disappointments and still stay on track then we will have a MUCH better chance of being successful!!!

Stay positive and I am sure that a week from today you will posting on another great loss! Good luck!
  • Jody1949
    Jody1949 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words. I know these things take time, but I am an impatient person. Perhaps this is God's way of teaching me patience.

Jody
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    Stay positive! You didn't lose anything, but you didn't gain anything either! I agree with the tip on taking your measurements.
  • cherfurr
    Options
    I feel your pain!! For the past 2 weeks I lost only 1/2 lb each week! But you are down 10lbs, that is something to celebrate. Keep at it and you will see that scale move. Also make sure you are eating enough calories as our bodies go into stavation mode and start hanging on to those pounds. It may sound strange but when you do eat you full calorie allotment you see the scale move again!
  • patrickobrien01
    Options
    Jody,

Think of the awesome changes you have achieved so far. Build on that and change up. I do not focus on weigh ins. I focus on how I feel and stretch my weigh ins out the further in I go. For instance on week three I weigh in after a week and a half. I also change up my exercise because of the plateau effect. You body gets used to the program.

Best of Luck and keep on going!!!

Patrick
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My weeks were just like yours when I started....big week 1 and 2....then nothing for 2-3 weeks! But then the weight starting coming off again! Week 5 I lost 4, and looks like this week will be 3-4 as well. In those weeks I didn't lose anything, I did notice my pants getting looser and looser. So even though the scale didn't move, things were still going well. Keep at it!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Your calories may be set a little too low. A man typically should not eat under 1500 NET cals/day, it looks like you are set at 1340. You should be eating 1500 plus the calories you burn through exercise. You can go to goals, click change goals, select custom and change your caloric intake to 1500. Good luck and good job thus far.

I agree. It seems like the main reason people here stop losing is because they don't eat enough. Try increasing your calories. Your body needs a certain amount of calories in order to function properly and burn fat. And definitely eat your exercise calories!

That said, don't feel bad. I weighed in this morning and my weight hasn't changed since Monday. But last night I took my measurements and I lost 3.5 inches since last week. So in my case, I know I've burned fat but my muscles are holding onto water to repair themselves, and I've probably gained a little muscle too.
  • ukjohn
    ukjohn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Jody, I know exactly how you feel as I'm in the same place myself. Even bordered on pizza and beer tonight to cheer myself up. What a mistake that would have been.

I'm finding that putting your frustrations out in the open on here helps...a lot. I'm now making grilled chicken and drinking water now. :laugh:

Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish.
  • majikal6
    Options
    Like the others have said here, no worries, there was no loss but no gain either. Try to keep you're workouts from being habitual, as in change up the times and the intensity as the body acclimates to your new regimen, once it figures out what you're doing results tend to slow. Keeping it guessing, is to keep it working. As well, when the scale becomes discouraging I use measurements of key areas on my body where I want to see change. The loss of inches is not always shown on the scale.

You're doing great and don't sweat the small stuff. This is like a test of your commitment, a brain game you most definitely can win. :happy: