less carbs more protien

Options
while at the doc's office i happened to read a magazine ,it said that carb is the enemy even went on to say that eating fruit would not be a good idea,vegs are good. i was a lil disapponted at one particular point.it said that excercise does not help as much as what was thought......it is what you eat that matters.what is your take on this ? can u suggest some ways i can increase the protein intake.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    while at the doc's office i happened to read a magazine ,it said that carb is the enemy even went on to say that eating fruit would not be a good idea,vegs are good. i was a lil disapponted at one particular point.it said that excercise does not help as much as what was thought......it is what you eat that matters.what is your take on this ? can u suggest some ways i can increase the protein intake.

love to see why they say that. What magazine, issue, and article name are you referring to?

FYI, carbs are NOT the enemy. Eating more than you burn is the enemy. Eating the right amounts in the right percentages of carbs/fats/and proteins will keep you healthy. As well as eating good carbs, healthy fats, and lean protein at the same time. And of course getting all your micro nutrients as well (vitamins and minerals).
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You should focus on more lean protein and less carbohydrates. Don't eliminate carbs all together, as they really are fuel for your body. Focus on eating complex carbohydrates instead of simple (white) carbs. Also, try to always eat your carbs with a protein. This helps your body break down the carb better. I've had to add a lean protein shake into my day to meet my protein needs. I really like the Max Muscle Lean Vanilla Protein mix. If I want to make it a different flavor, I add about a tablespoon of sugar free pudding or jello mix to it (chocolate and banana pudding, orange and strawberry jello).

Some 'good' carbs:
    Baked potato
    Sweet potato
    Yams
    Squash
    Pumpkin
    Brown rice
    Wild rice
    Pasta (whole grain is better. Try Barilla Plus!)
    Oatmeal
    Barley
    Beans
    Kidney beans
    Corn
    Strawberries
    Melon
    Apples
    Oranges
    Fat-free yogurt
    Whole-wheat bread
    High fiber cereal
    Rice cake
    Popcorn
    Tortilla
    Whole grains
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You have to research that. You can't read one doctors opinion for something and take it as fact. Obviously the majority of dieters and healthy people eat a balanced diet with exercise and live healthy lives. You can't chance your whole outlook and approach to eating off one article in one magazine without looking into it at all
  • nickiejohnson
    Options
    Agreed, carbs are not the enemy, but when you consume to much of them-there lies the problem. You don't want to cut them out completely because you will lose a lot of valuable energy that will help you exercise more.
    I would eat whole wheat grains, lean protein and you don't want to eat too much fruit because of the high sugar content...
    Hope this helps and good luck to you!! :)