Calories - over and under

Options
Liatush
Liatush Posts: 627 Member
Hi,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on making up the next day for going over your calorie goal one day. So if on Monday I go over by 200, I will go under by that much on Tuesday. I don't do this on a regular basis, but not sure if this is OK to do on occassion.

Thanks.

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could... but it drives me crazy if I go over (even if I "make it up") another day. For me, I'm afraid it would become a slippery slope. You know the old excuse of "I can work this off tomorrow or make it up later" sounds alot like "I'm going to start my diet... tomorrow."

Just my 2 cents. But do whatever works for you!
  • Liatush
    Options
    I definitely try to stay within my alottment, but if I am out with friends and want a little something extra, I let myself because I know that too much restriction will only get me to quit altogether...
  • natsplat_20
    natsplat_20 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tbh i would see what the calories are from. For example, i've had a few days this week where i've been over around 100 calories...but i've had 250-300 calories worth of fruit...so my thinking is that actually fruit and veg are both good for you and on many diets are actually "free" food and don't count as anything in that you can eat as much as want.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Sounds all fine and good, but that just isn't how our body works. So you go over a little one day, everyone has those days. Just go to your next day and say it is going to be better. If you are exercising and you only went over your set calories, and those 200 calories you went over are your exercise calories your body needs that. No bid deal. Your body needs fuel to burn that fat away.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I think you should vary your calories each day. If you consistently eat the same number of calories every day your body will get used to it and your weight loss could hit a plateau. I'm not saying to flip flop every day or to do it by huge numbers but a couple hundred calories here and there each week might keep your body from getting used to what your feeding it. Good luck!
  • newmein2011
    Options
    Makes sense to ME! But who am I but a newbie myself! :flowerforyou:
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think its ok.... I think as long as your weekly calories aren't crazy over or under you body is getting what it needs.
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have asked my nutritionist about that last week and she told me that when you cut your calories to a very low level (1200, 1000) you body enters into "starvation mode", that means your metabolism will understand you do not have available food and it is dangerous, so it works not spending energy as it usually does, and this avoids fat to melt down, so instead of 1 problem (having eaten too much yesterday) maybe you can have 2 (the first one plus the metabolism slow down).
    My alternative usually is, if I ate too much, I'll spend these calories, so I put my sneakers on and burn the exceding 200 cal.
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If I go over, I don't make that up the next day. Rather, I "try" not put together a few days where my calorie count is consistantly high. It's hard, especially on the weekends when I enjoy eating out and having a few drinks. My thoughts are if you know that you're probably going to go over early in the day, then maybe try working out a bit longer or eat light during the day to save some more room at night. Then again, you're not supposed to eat later either, haha.
  • Liatush
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!!