Too Much Protein

Options
I am constantly going over my limit for protein, but usually under for total calories and fat. I work out regularly, do you think this may/will affect weight loss? My guess is no, I'd rather go over protein than calories and/or fat. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Thanks

Replies

• MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating a well balanced diet, I wouldnt be worried. I cant see how too much protein would be bad as long as you were in your calorie range and had a mix of produce, diary and healthy carbs as well!
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating a well balanced diet, I wouldnt be worried. I cant see how too much protein would be bad as long as you were in your calorie range and had a mix of produce, diary and healthy carbs as well!
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Protein is a good replacement for carbs in particular bcause it's easier for your body to use and break down.

I think you'll be fine - if it does affect your weight loss it will be as am improvement as the protein will help you be stronger and exercise more.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You guessed right! MFP's default setting for protein is very low. Don't worry about going over on protein.
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've often heard that you can't have "too much" protein in a given day, especially if you exercise.

However, you don't want to overdo it in one meal or serving. For example, I drink a protein shake that contains 24 grams, I used to double that, making it 48. I've been told that it is too much for 1 drink, meaning that the protein could turn into fat. Now, I drink 1 serving after my workout and usually another serving later at night.

You need to give your body a chance to digest and use the protein before it turns to fat. Try not overdo it per meal (I try not to go over 40 grams, but usually closer to 20 on average) but at the same time don't worry if you do go over throughout the day.
  • megtroth
    megtroth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I just needed some confirmation.