Helpful Tips to Lose Weight

Options
I am doing research on obesity in a college class.
I have skimmed dozens of articles and feel I am learning alot about my own behavior, as I see myself in these pages.
One article I was reading had some really good tips, so I thought I would share.

BOX 1. TEN HELPFUL TIPS TO HELP PATIENTS LOSE WEIGHT
1. Change one thing -- one successful change will increase your self-esteem and your self-efficacy
2. Make an action plan. Don't just say 'I'll walk more', say 'On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I will walk away from my home for 10 minutes, then I'll turn around and walk back again. That way I'll have done an extra hour's exercise every week and 52 hours extra activity every year!'
3. Set realistic targets -- a 5-10% weight loss has measurable benefits to overall health and is achievable no matter what the starting weight. Remember that you need to save 500-600 calories per day in order to lose 11b (0.5kg) per week. Ensure that timescales are also realistic
4. Avoid information overload; if you offer a leaflet, go through it with the patient so they can see why it is useful
5. Learn to recognise the difference between physical hunger, emotional hunger and appetite
6. Learn to recognise when you are hungry, stopping eating just before you are full
7. Change behaviours in order to change lifestyle. For example, if your response to a stressful day is to reach for the biscuits, either don't buy biscuits or keep them in a difficult to access place. If you do buy them, buy them in ready wrapped packs of three and allow yourself one pack only
8. Keep a record of your eating and exercise habits -- a pedometer may be useful. Recognising poor habits is the first step to changing them
9. Involve other members of the family if possible
10. Appreciate the true benefits that weight loss and lifestyle changes are likely to have.

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Excellent information. I will definitely be using some of these tips! I'm looking forward to my lifestyle change. Incorporating family members makes it so much easier (and funner).