Elliptical vs. Treadmill...Which do you recommend?

Options
2»

Replies

• jvanderveen22
    Options
    Treadmill only works if you push the incline...otherwise your just making the motion..you need resistance to burn. If you use the elipticals find one that will give resistance or in the end all you did was make the motion, good effort and a good sweat prove its working. They both can do the job. get your joints strong and move up, don't stick to just one thing.we only make progress with change.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I do both, but prefer the treadmill. I always wanted to do treadmill more but it was a huge struggle for me when I first started working out. So I used the elliptical to built up stamina and start getting in better shape and have been transitioning over to the treadmill more and more. I feel like I get a much better overall workout from the treadmill and like how my body feels after the treadmill.

I still use the elliptical, but not as much. Usually only if I feel like I need a lower impact workout that night (I have a bad knee, ankle and foot from previous injuries and breaks) and the treadmill might hurt too much to get through a workout. Or if someone is already on the treadmill. (I work out in my apartment fitness center, super nice equipment and convenient, but only one treadmill! O_o)

I also mix it up with some stationary bike as well, just to keep myself from getting bored or in a rut with my workouts.

Oh, and after months and months of the elliptical being just over 2/3 of my cardio time, my calf muscles got huge. Like, disproportionately huge. So there's part of me hoping that doing more jogging/running and less elliptical will tone them down to still being muscular, but slimmer.
  • STARG1RL
    STARG1RL Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    the treadmill with a 5 or higher incline burns more calories than the elliptical :-) but really, anything is better than nothing so mix it up so you dont get burnt out.

I agree 100% & thanks again for the encouragement the other day that doing "13 minutes of running" when I wasn't feeling well was a good job :wink:

Unfortunately, my husband doesn't like ellipticals, however, still enjoys running. In fact, he's getting back into his slump as I write this. :smile:

We bought our treadmill two Black Friday's ago, & haven't looked back, even though we were told by several people that "You'll end up using it as a clothes rack..." We don't!!! My mom, however, doesn't like to run & she owns an elliptical, & yes, when I get on it, I'm worn out after only a couple of minutes. So, yes, an elliptical may burn more cals in a shorter period of time, but it wears me out, way too fast to make my time worth it. I'd rather get up to a few miles before I'm completely exhausted... That's just my thought.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I was a huge fan of the Elliptical until I got over my fear of falling off a Treadmill. I have questionable knees at times but with the incline set between 3.0 & 7.0....I haven't felt a thing except my muscles burning at 7.0 :bigsmile:
  • mountainwoman98
    mountainwoman98 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love the treadmill at an incline of 12 but have RA and when it flares up my knees can't take the impact so then I use my elliptical. Like a few others have said though, its good to mix it up.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and feel a lot of pain in my knee joints. I'm going to try to sell it to buy an elliptical.