Flavor without fat run amock in your mashed potatoes!!

Options
Christie23
Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
I made some mashed potatoes last night, by peeling and chopping up about 2 lbs of yukon golds. The secret was about 45 mins before I boiled the potatoes, I peeled about 15 cloves of garlic and put them in a small saucepan. I covered them with about a cup and a half of skim milk and set it to low temp. I simmered this mixture slowly for about 45 minutes until I could squish each little garlic clove. Once they were all smashed, I let it simmer another 10 minutes, then removed from heat. I drained the boiled potatoes and put them back in the pot over med heat for a few moments to cook out the rest of the moisture. Transferred the potatoes to a big bowl, added 2 Tbsp of butter (not margarine) and mashed. Then I poured the garlic and milk mixture through a fine mesh strainer and into the potatoes. I whipped the potatoes with a whisk and then added some chicken broth (poured the the same mesh strainer just to add a little more garlic flavor) until the potatoes were as creamy as I wanted. Salt and pepper. Serve.

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Um... that sounds amazing! Bumpity Bump Bump!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    That sounds too good ... can't wait to give it a try!!!!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Yummmmm Christie! Do you know what the numbers are?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that sounds delicious! I'll have to try that. We love garlic mashed potatoes around here.
  • Christie23
    Options

Nah... I just kinda made it up for Jay (only had enough last night to taste it)... but you could look it up on the recipe calculator. 2 lbs potatoes, 1 cup skim milk infused with fresh garlic, 2 Tbsp butter, low sodium chicken broth, salt and pepper.
  • shanolap
    Options

Nah... I just kinda made it up for Jay (only had enough last night to taste it)... but you could look it up on the recipe calculator. 2 lbs potatoes, 1 cup skim milk infused with fresh garlic, 2 Tbsp butter, low sodium chicken broth, salt and pepper.

Ahhhhhhh *drool*
  • Christie23
    Options
    I think it's so much better for your body to use real butter, just more sparingly. It goes much further, flavor-wise, than margarine and at the end of the day, the richness you get from using real butter makes up for the fat you're missing in the milk. If you prefer them creamier and don't mind adding a few more cals, you can use light sour cream in place of the chicken broth...
  • Christie23
    Options
    Put them in the calculator... a 3/4 cup portion is 137 cals.
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Hey Christie,
    Totally agree with you about butter. Hve you ever researched what margarine is made of...might surprise you!!
  • shanolap
    Options
    Put them in the calculator... a 3/4 cup portion is 137 cals.

Fantastic! I already plan on making them Sunday with pork tenderloin and fresh veggies!
  • sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump
  • YvonneBerdkan
    YvonneBerdkan Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    im making this tonight!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I think it's so much better for your body to use real butter, just more sparingly. It goes much further, flavor-wise, than margarine and at the end of the day, the richness you get from using real butter makes up for the fat you're missing in the milk. If you prefer them creamier and don't mind adding a few more cals, you can use light sour cream in place of the chicken broth...

I'm in the same boat with you re: real butter. A little goes a long way if you're smart about it (which, I wasn't smart about it for a good old long time lol)
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,015 Member
    Options
    YUM I will have to try it
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    Delish! Agree on the butter - I read that margarine, if left open outside, will remain TOTALLY UNTOUCHED by any bugs, animals, etc. because its composition is closer to plastic than food...scary!
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    sounds awesome!
    I think I will toss some fresh rosemary in with the garlic and milk.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I kind of do the same thing except I throw my garlic in with the potatoes and cook them all together. Some sim milk and a little butter and they are SO good!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    Ooh! That sounds so good! My weakness are potatos and I will have to try this.