Soy Milk a bit too sweet for substituting in cooking "savory

Options
My wife and I are vegetarians at home. We also don't drink milk. We do a lot of substitution with meatless and soy products still. We've noticed that dishes such as lipton sidekicks, or hamburger helper, or packaged scalloped potatoes, etc, will have too much of a sweet taste to them when we substitute soy for cow's milk. I don't want to offset it with more salt, as those dishes are more than salty enough already. we still want to eat these meals, but wish we could get them to taste more like we're used to. The problem is not in the meatless products such as veggie ground round, it tastes great every other time we use it.

Is there something else I could substitute for milk that isn't as sweet as soy milk?

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Why don't you add more water and cut back on the milk portion. See if that makes a difference. PureAlmond makes everything sweet also.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You can buy unsweetened soy milk (not plain -- it'll say "unsweetened" on the label). It tastes kind of like nothing. :) Silk makes some, and I think 8th Continent makes an unsweetened as well.
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    both good suggestions. I actually don't think I ever noticed an "unsweetened" silk. We like So Good's "no sugar added" but it's not unsweetened, it still has splenda.

I'll have to look into it some more. maybe they don't have it in canada. "tastes like nothing" is just what I'm after.
  • hardybelle83
    Options
    What about using unsweetened almond milk? Silk & Blue Diamond both have unsweetened varities of almond milk. I think that almond milk replaces milk in recipes far better than soymilk does.
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Silk unsweetned doesn't seem to be available here, but I found sunrise unsweetened, and that will do the trick, I think.

I thought about Almond Milk and I always have some on hand since it doesn't need to be refrigerated, but it's just so expensive, I'd feel like I'm wasting it when cooking with it.
  • dragonfarie
    dragonfarie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I actually use mostly water in things like tuna helper/ hamburger helper. (3/4 water and 1/4 milk) And nobody knows the difference. :smile: