Opinions on Subway Sandwhiches as a whole?

Options
I eat at Subway like 5 times a week never getting sick of it. I have friends just hearing me eat there is getting them sick and they aren't the ones eating it cause I talk about it so much. I used to eat a balanced breakfast, and a 6 inch sub for lunch w/chips, and 6 inch for dinner with fruit or veggies on the side. I lost ten pounds had to switch the Nightly 6 inch to meat, veggie, couscous cause I plateaued. Now I am married and have to find appropriate meals for the both of us and still lose weight. My G-Ma say subway is terrible for your body in general. What are your thoughts on it?

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    We eat at Subway only once a week usually, some times twice...but rare. We keep it low because of the amount of sodium that most of their processed meats have. While Subway may be better than other options, there are still a lot better options out there. I would recommend cutting back on it.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like Subway and if I'm going to eat out while on the road (which is rare) that's where I go. I have yet to see another company that makes it so easy to eat healthy. Places like Jason's Deli drive me nuts...you think it's healthy, but when you wrench the nutrition info out of their hands (it took an act of God last time I was there) the only thing reasonable is one sandwich on the kids menu (which they won't let you order unless you are a kid).
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I eat Subway a lot too. It's the only restaurant that isn't sit-down near my office that has a large selection of reasonable lunch choices. The meats there (as with an deli) do have a ton of sodium though. So I'd take it in moderation. I usually don't let myself go there more than 3 times per week at lunch (and sometimes I don't go at all during the week). You can't eat that much subway for the rest of your life (I'm sure even Jared doesn't!), so find some other healthy solutions you can fall back on in case you aren't near a Subway or for when you do eventually get sick of it. You don't want to have all your eggs in one basket!
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I like Subway, don't get me wrong, but deli meat has soooooo much sodium :grumble: the meat and cheese are really processed, which isn't good for you.
  • BriannaSkye
    Options
    I love Subway and have it once to twice a week mmmm
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    its not that healthy to eat that much of the same thing over and over and over and over again. you need to get some different nutrients in there. once or twice a week seems fine.

here's a site that calculates accurately the full nutritional value of your custom subway sandwich: http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calculators/Subway_calorie-calculator

they arent horrible but they really arent that healthy for you either .
  • Kristina954
    Options
    If im on the GO subways a good choice. I dont like lunchmeat so I get the veggie delight no mayo with oregano, pepper and vinegar for flavor =)
  • Kaetheb
    Kaetheb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I live by 5 different national, regional, and local sub sandwich chains, so I'm surrounded by a wealth of choices. In the end, though, they're all basically the same in their offerings: bread, meat, cheese, veggies, condiments. As long as you stick with Subway's 6-inch low-calorie choices, and order without cheese or mayo (it's in the fine print below the list of posted calorie counts), you're fine for fat and overall calories. The only real danger is that in a steady diet of such foods, there's a TREMENDOUS amount of sodium in the meats, cheeses, pickles, olives, condiments, and seasonings (excepting oregano and oil) which can make existing health issues worse (high blood pressure, heart conditions for example), or be the trigger for someone who's borderline for these issues. Some of that plateau may be water retention from the sodium.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I love subway! For fast food, it has some pretty healthy options, but you do have to watch the sodium and what you put on it! I have Subway usually once a week, I just don't get the chicken, bacon, and ranch anymore! lol
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Subway's whole grain and wheat bread has less than 2% whole grain or wheat. They also contain ammonium sulfate which is a chemical used in fertilizers (helps the yeast and give the bread a brown color). All of their breads contain high fructose corn syrup.

http://gohometeamgo.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-subway-is-bad-for-you.html

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/06/22/subway-sandwich-lettuce-tomato-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/truth-about-your-food -- this is a good one - Subway is a little down on the page.

There is nothing healthy about Subway.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that subway does offer whole meat options as well as "deli" meat. Less processing = less sodium and other crud, no matter where you eat out.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • Arlala555
    Arlala555 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So what would be a better option. I have been raised on eating sandwiches for lunch since I was young. Is boars head meat good for you? Buying a healthy bread at the store be a better choice? I usually stay away from cheese unless I am ion the mood.
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    I am in school (over fulltime), do homework, work, and commute to both (at least 30 minutes). Being so busy I don't have time to cook much. For now I live off Subway and Panda Express. Sad but true. I graduate in May and so look forward to being able to cook healthy meals for myself. I think subway is better than a fast food burger or something deep fried. That is if you order wisely and not salami on cheese bread with extra mayo. lol
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Besides the sodium that everyone has already mentioned, Subway is a good choice a few times per week. If you aren't getting the Italian Herbs & Cheese or Parmesan bread, you shouldn't have to worry too much about switching your bread. Any processed meats, even if you bought your own turkey or ham lunch meats at the store, are going to have the sodium problem. What you need to pay attention to is when you enter all of your foods for the day, look at all of the category totals at the end of the day, not just calories. If the fat and sodium and carbs are all okay...then Subway is obviously not "terrible" for you =)
  • Arlala555
    Arlala555 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No one is suggesting me any good alternatives. I had Subway hours after I posted this thread. Today I'm going to Publix (grocery store) and Buying Boars Head Lower sodium sandwich. I think That is a better choice.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    If you do sandwiches same thing I was raised on buy deli meats actual ones they cut there for you generally lower in sodium and cheaper for what you actually get. Whole grain breads from the store and low fat cheese (also some have lower sodium) if you want to pack and go. My thoughts on subway is I love it! I don't eat it to often but for a life on the go it works!

As for other alternatives other than sandwiches. I make lettuce wraps with chicken i bake myself after marinated in a sauce i create myself to keep the sodium down. Then toss in presliced carrots and some onions. Quick and easy I make the meat when I have time and freeze it or keep it in the fridge till the next day. I do keep a lunch kit! with me. I make a lot of foods ahead a time since I have no time except late at night. Sorry if this is not what you are looking for.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Do you like whole wheat pitas? If I'm going to have a sandwich, I'll use those instead of regular bread. If you can find one without a lot of ingredients listed, it would be your better choice.
    I like Schneider's fat free turkey breast deli meat but I'm not sure if that's available in the US with some mustard and lots of veggies and perhaps a thin slice of avocado.

I like the idea of cooking up some chicken breasts ahead of time to cut up for the fillings. This way you can control the sodium content.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Subway's whole grain and wheat bread has less than 2% whole grain or wheat. They also contain ammonium sulfate which is a chemical used in fertilizers (helps the yeast and give the bread a brown color). All of their breads contain high fructose corn syrup.

http://gohometeamgo.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-subway-is-bad-for-you.html

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/06/22/subway-sandwich-lettuce-tomato-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/truth-about-your-food -- this is a good one - Subway is a little down on the page.

There is nothing healthy about Subway.

I agree with this post.

It is an okay choice if you are on the go and there are no better alternatives, but more than occasionally is not good.

Make your own sandwiches at home. Roast or broil or bake your own meat and poultry. If you absolutely must have deli meat, look for nitrate-free, low-sodium options. Buy breads with no artificial crap or HFCS. If you are craving it, maybe seek out a local sub shop that uses real baked bread and minimally processed ingredients.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What you need to pay attention to is when you enter all of your foods for the day, look at all of the category totals at the end of the day, not just calories. If the fat and sodium and carbs are all okay...then Subway is obviously not "terrible" for you =)

Those totals do not reflect ingredients. So yes, foods and drinks can be terrible for you, even if you are within your calorie/fat/sodium/whatever numbers.