Double Protein bran muffins

Options
DeeDeeLHF
DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
I have been playing around with bran muffin recipes. I posted one before but this one is even better:

Double Protein Bran Muffins

Mix:
1 cup organic wheat bran
1 cup of organic oat bran
1 cup of soured skim milk (stir one tsp of lemon juice in the milk)
½ TBS extra virgin olive oil
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
6 TBS of egg white
2 TBS of real maple syrup
2 TBS of dark brown sugar (optional)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract (optional)
Let set a few minutes to soften the bran.

Separate bowl, mix:
1 TBS chia seeds
¼ cup water.
Let set until chia has soaked up water then stir into bran mixture.

Add:
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp of lite salt

2 scoops of Swanson protein powder (vanilla) *** see note below***

Mix
2 tsp of baking soda
¾ cup of whole wheat pastry flour
Add to bran mixture.

After this is mixed add 1 cup of frozen blueberries or whatever you like (apples, raisins, carrots etc. to equal about 70 calories)

Spoon into prepared muffin pans to make 12.

Calories: 110 (with blueberries and extra brown sugar)
Protein: 8 grams
Carbs: 20 grams
Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Sodium: 68 grams
Sugars: 4.25 grams

**** I use Swanson brand because it is the lowest calorie and highest protein that I have yet to find but warning, it is really only good when mixed with something. Tastes terrible on its own.
To compare to what you already have: 1 scoop is 90 calories, 20 grams of protein, 1.5 g of carb, and 0.5 g of fat.

These are listed in the foods as DD's double protein bran muffins.

D

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe but more so the inspiration to put protein powder into muffins. I went and sought out a much easier version with far less ingredients. I found one with 7 ingredients and contains 19g of protein each. I calculated mine to be 2 WW points and will be making them tonight.
  • garethf
    garethf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh... sounds so gooood...
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Wow...19 grams!! , Heather...please share!!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Despite the fact that my creations weren’t the most beautiful muffins in the world, they were actually delicious!

Super high in protein, low in carbs, high in fibre, delicious, formulated by a doctor and microwavable? What more could you ask for! Here’s one more pro that sold me, this recipe only makes 2! If you LOVE muffins like I do, making 12 is deadly since I can’t stop at 1 or 2. Crises averted with this mini quick recipie, Phew! ;)

Vanilla Protein Powder Muffins

½ cup Presidents Choice Fibre cereal (or use All-Bran or Fibre 1 Original for -10 calories)
    ½ cup unsweetened soy milk (or use skim milk for + 10 calories)
    ¼ cup egg beaters (or use 1 egg + calories/fat/cholesterol)
    ½ tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/8 cup frozen blueberries (or use dried cranberries, raisins or a cut up apple)
    1 scoop Healthy Planet Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (or your own protein powder, mine is 123 cals, 27g protein to compare)

Directions: Mix milk and egg together. In a separate bowl, mix cereal, cinnamon, and baking powder. Combine liquids with dry ingredients. Let sit for at least 20 minutes. You can even prepare the mix the night before and leave it in the refrigerator; this step is important in order to allow the bran cereal to soften and absorb the milk. Spray 2 mugs with cooking spray, divide batter between mugs, microwave 2 minutes 25 seconds then tip onto plate and serve. Makes 2 muffins.

WW Points: 2

Nutrition: 147 calories, 334mg sodium, 15 carbs, 8g fiber, 2 g fat, 19g protein.

Picture351.jpg

Original recipe: http://www.drbishop.ca/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipedetail/recipeID/12-Easy-Bran-Muffins
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Yum!! Thanks!
  • luvu32
    luvu32 Posts: 13
    Options
    Both recipes sound great thanks.
  • mehapp
    mehapp Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks Dee Dee - This recipe sounds amazing - I'll be baking the "gluten-free" version soon. I'll let you know how they turn out!
  • chilipeppers
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe but more so the inspiration to put protein powder into muffins. I went and sought out a much easier version with far less ingredients. I found one with 7 ingredients and contains 19g of protein each. I calculated mine to be 2 WW points and will be making them tonight.

please post recipe as well!

thanks for this, I should make some of these, it's never really occured to me until just now that I can make my own protein snacks for before my workouts!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Well, I tried a new version of these. I was starting to get tired of the same old same old. So, instead of the spices and blueberries I used chocolate protein powder and extra dark cocoa! AMAZING!!!

D