Japanese Steakhouse?

Options
Hello! I'm going out to celebrate my friend's birthday tonight and we are going to a Japanese Steakhouse. I'm planning on mostly veggies little rice and chicken. Any ideas on how to count the calories? May also have a little Saki? I've been doing really good and don't want to mess it up tonight? Thanks:drinker:

Replies

• maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water afterward to try to flush out the salt.
  • abbyrowley
    Options
    I know it's really difficult trying to calculate calories when you're going out for a meal. Whenever I've gone out somewhere I just try and guesstimate the measurements of everything i'm having, usually going for the higher measurement to make sure, and then hit the gym and do a few exercises on the day to try and stay in my limit!
    Don't feel too hard on yourself for giving yourself a little treat anyways :)
    Good luck!
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you've been at this for a while, you can guesstimate what an ounce of chicken, rice, or veggies looks like. Or if you're anal like me you'd bring along a portable food scale.....that's right!!!! :p
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    Just remember what it was that you ordered and look it up in the food database. If your exact meal isn't in there, estimate to the best of your ability. It's great that you want to track what you eat when you're out to dinner, but don't stress out if it's not exact.

Since they usually cook the veggies in an oil/butter blend, ask them to use less butter? Use the dipping sauces sparingly. I imagine they're high in sodium. I'd agree about drinking lots of water after. You may want to drink some before too, to fill you up so you're less likely to over-eat.
  • katnevsmom
    Options
    Actually I just looked up1 cup of Hibachi Chicken/ Rice and Veggies and it looks like around 523 calories. 5 oz of saki is only 40 calories. I haven't ever dieted before so I'm just starting to get used to estimating foods. Guess I should have looked further before posting:) Thank you all!!!

Do people snicker when you pull out the food scale?
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Do people snicker when you pull out the food scale?

Of course they do! But it doesn't bother me at all. ;)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Another strategy I used is to (ALWAYS) get a box to go. Then, when I get home, I estimate how much I ate at the restaurant, and then weigh out that much when I get home to estimate the calories I consumed.