Any other Biopsy Patients?

Options
So, I had a kidney biopsy this morning and the Dr. advised that I do not partake in strenuous (sp?) activity or heavy lifting for 24 - 48 hours. HOWEVER, I've googled biopsy recovery time and I'm finding results from 48 hours - 2 weeks.

If anyone has had any experience with this I would love to hear it. I work out at least 5 times a week and am super annoyed that I could possibly be on hold for 2 weeks. I'd prefer to return to the gym, at the latest, next Wed.

Thanks!

Replies

• FatDoctor
    FatDoctor Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The reason to withheld exercise for some time after a kidney biopsy is the risk of bleeding and there is no uniform rule for it. It is all depends on the personal experience, individual body condition and opinion of the surgeon. Should any legal questions arise, the surgeon will be able to say "I did give the warning", that's why they are extra cautious. You can resume your fitness regimen earlier but should anything happen the surgeon can deny the responsibility.
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    There's never a clear answer for things like this is there?!
  • catmisha
    Options
    If you have any doubts I will call the Doctor. After a biopsy the risk of bleeding is higher during the first 48 hrs. If you are planing on going to the gym weight lifting and running may be a little too much. Usually you can resume your normal activities in about a week to be on the safe side. Again call your doctor, complications because of bleeding could grant you even surgery which will have a recovery time of at least a couple of months. Play safe.
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know when you are in a good routine it's really hard to stop - sounds like you've made it to that 'runner's high' that I'm working so hard to attain. I'd take it easy for as long as the doctor recommends, watching calories and carbs, and then gradually get back into it. Remember, it's not forever and you can remain at your current weight if you watch what you eat. I'll say a prayer that the biopsy report comes back normal and all is well :)
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    Oooh playing it safe is so hard - but it's better than being out for months right? I appreciate the encouragement and advice.
  • Lollyduds
    Lollyduds Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Im a Kidney nurse in the UK and deal with biopsy patients almost daily. I really recommend that you don't exercise for at least a week, I understand that might be hard but you really don't want any complications. Also in the UK we ensure all patients are on strict 24 hour bed rest, the first 6hrs laying flat!!
    Hope this helps

Lauren
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    Awesome Lauren, Thanks!