Exercise Bike?...

Chrissun
Chrissun Posts: 148
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I have an elliptical and love it. Now, I'm thinking of getting an exercise bike. Any advice, suggestions? Would it be worth it? Will I use it? I want to change up my work outs and the winters are long here (NW Montana), the Wii doesn't keep my attention.

Thanks!

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    I have a recumbent bike and I love it. It's nice because you are in a reclined position with no risk of saddle sores. Also, I found it to be a nice workout. If you get one, be sure to have a goal in mind (like the number of km or time on it) so that it does not collect dust!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Funny! I have a recumbent bike and am thinking of getting an elliptical :) I have a treadmill too but I hate it. I would sooo much rather walk or run outside. I am in WV and it's way too cold and snowy here now too. The thing I really like about the my bike is that I can sit down with a book and ride for an hour or more (if time permits) and it's like I'm not even working out, despite the sweat pouring off of me. LOL! Perfect way to kill a morning, a coffee buzz, a good book and a good workout ;)
  • Chrissun
    I was thinking of a recumbent bike. I agree that I don't want it to collect dust that's why I'm not thinking treadmill, probably wouldn't get used enough.

A friend had suggested that the Elliptical and exercise bike are very similar in movements. I don't have easy access to a gym to compare.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    I too have a recumbant bike. It collected dust in the corner until recently. Now I have been using it almost every day. I definitely prefer walking/jogging outside, but this cold nasty winter makes that impossible (My treadmill bit the dust a couple years ago and we can't afford to replace it!). You can burn quite a few calories in a short amount of time if you play with the programs/resistance, but you don't get in any upper body/arm movements - thats the biggest downfall to me. I think you'll like one if you alternate use between that and your elliptical. Its the only machine I have so its that or nothing and it gets boring from time to time!
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Have you heard of the REBOUNDER?? Why not get a rebounder mini trampoline instead? I cost much less and is great for cardio and lymphatic drainage...check out urban rebounding and needak two made in USA companies . have rebounders from both. You can get a dvd to follow and get an amazing cardio w/o that is so much more fun and less boring than stationary biking.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Have you heard of the REBOUNDER?? Why not get a rebounder mini trampoline instead? It costs much less and is great for cardio and lymphatic drainage...check out urban rebounding and needak two made in USA companies . have rebounders from both. You can get a dvd to follow and get an amazing cardio w/o that is so much more fun and less boring than stationary biking.
    [/quot
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    I have Recumbent bike (lifecycle) an Elliptical ( Octane ) and a rowing machine (concept 2) . To be frank I don't use them as much as I should but my wife lost 90 pounds a couple years ago. What I will say is be very wary of cheaper versions at places like Wal-Mart or sporting goods places. Use a respectable gym equipment place.

The life cycle runs as smooth as glass and has excellent electronics.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    As a second thought I was just at the place where I get all my stuff and they now make an elliptical that is recumbent. Seemed very cool but the unusual motion felt very awkward. I'm guessing you would get used to it though.
  • Chrissun
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check into the rebounder and life cycle bike.
This discussion has been closed.