thyroid problems

Options
I just had my thyroid partially removed. Is there anyone here thats had that done. One lady told me that I would never be able to lose weight now that I've had it removed. How discouraging is that?? Has anyone here on MFP had this done. I'd love to have some input and encouragement.

Replies

• beveeh
    beveeh Posts: 12
    Options
    I just had my thyroid partially removed. Is there anyone here thats had that done. One lady told me that I would never be able to lose weight now that I've had it removed. How discouraging is that?? Has anyone here on MFP had this done. I'd love to have some input and encouragement.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I have not personally had it done but a very close friend of mine had thyroid cancer and had hers completely removed. She gained weight while her medications were getting regulated but then was able to lose. She had to be more careful with her diet and exercise routine but it can be done. You will be able to lose weight so don't let one persons negativity discourage you. Just keep at it and surround yourself with people that encourage you!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I had my thryoid removed when I was 11-years-old. Lost 54 pounds this last year.

You can do it! :smile:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    dont know if it helps but I have an underactive thyroid and I have no problem loosing weight. :happy:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    They killed mine off and I gained weight at first, but that was 12 years ago. I think some people with thyroid issues may have to work harder to lose weight, but then again maybe that's just my excuse. :tongue:
  • beveeh
    beveeh Posts: 12
    Options
    thanks everyone for the encouragement.
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    My mom had her thyroid removed when I was a child , due to Cancer 2 x's. Second time they removed it. She has lost weight and maintained. It was a rough go , but it can be done, Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and I am glad to see weight loss is still achievable! If you work hard enough and want it bad enough I think anything is possible.:happy:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    it is possible and yes it is a lot of work. But if an old lady like me can do it so can anyone. :laugh: :laugh: