Turkey Hill Diet Iced Tea

Options
Is this stuff too good to be true? It has 0 calories, 0 sugar??? So I can drink as much as I want???

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 cup (240 ml)
Servings Per Container 2
Amount Per Serving
Calories 0
Calories from Fat

% Daily Value
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Sodium 10 mg 1%
Total Carbohydrates 0 g 0%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g 0%
Caffeine: 30 mg to 55 mg
Ingredients: WATER, TEA, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTAME, SODIUM CITRATE, NATURAL FLAVORS, POTASSIUM SORBATE & SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVE FRESHNESS).
Contains: PHENYLALANINE
Additional Info: Gluten-Free, Fat-Free

Replies

• LaurenRose2011
    Options
    The tricky ingredient is "natural flavors", which according to Title 21, Section 101, part 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations is this:

"The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional."

Given that definition you can be certain of only one thing: that there is no way to know what the actual ingredients are.

Others are likely going to post about "aspartame". The controversy over aspartame got started back in the 70s and has gained strength despite a lack of evidence that there's anything bad about it. It DOES have the potential to create health problems, but not in any quantity you will likely consume. You would have to drink approx. 40 diet sodas containing aspartame daily for an entire year to reach the danger threshold.

As for the other ingredients: they're ok as well. Again, the only tricky ingredient here is "natural flavors". It's completely up to you what you put in your body, but if you are the kind of person that has to be 100% certain about what's being consumed then you will likely decide against drinking this product. However, the likelihood of there being any bad ingredients hidden inside the "natural flavors" label is fairly low. ;)

Added: Phenylalanine is only a problem if you have been diagnosed with the genetic disorder phenylketonuria. People with this disorder are unable to metabolise phenylalanine .
  • cassandra77
    Options
    Hmmm ya I def. don't want artificial sweeteners as I am breastfeeding. I knew it was too good to be true lol
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    Mmmmm.... Turkey hill diet tea is my favorite brand of iced tea!! So yummy- think it's the "Cold brewed & kept cold" that makes it taste so good. Stewarts diet iced tea isn't bad either- same type of flavor. I try to stay away from artificial sweetners now days, but when I crave iced tea these are the best
  • LaurenRose2011
    Options
    Hmmm ya I def. don't want artificial sweeteners as I am breastfeeding. I knew it was too good to be true lol

That's understandable! :) I think you made the right choice.
  • cassandra77
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I loveee this site! Everyone is sooo helpful!