Depression Isn't quite the right word here but I need help P

Options
Hey everyone- it's hard to explain all the background on here, but I wrote about it in my blog today. I am going through a really tough life change right now and I feel..... Idk foggy? I guess for lack of a better word. I have zero energy whatsoever- my excercising other than what I do at work then sabotage by overeating is basically non existent. I am trying to stay positive and get back on track but I am so tired I can't sleep and that leads to no energy it's a vicious cycle. I just need some love. Some support some encouragement. I know everything well be ok but I am just sad...that is the right word very sad about what I am going through. I know how to eat right I know how to excercise and I want to but I am just so numb right now.

Replies

• jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I understand...I don't know exactly what you are going through but I understand what you're saying. Things will get better. You can do this! You can pick yourself up and conquer anything you set your mind to! If you need someone to chat with, encourage or motivate you I'd love to help. Send me a friend request if you'd like :smile:
  • sandeeface518
    sandeeface518 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    whoa....first of all, I'm also in K-ville...and second....I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I'm just physically exhausted and mentally drained. I'm lucky if I get 5-6 hours of decent sleep and I absolutely HAVE to take a nap to make it through my day or else I'm falling asleep on the sofa at 7pm. I've had to push myself to get into the gym, even if it's only for 30 minutes and the first 5 minutes I always want to give up, but I push through and before I know it, the endorphins kick in and I'm feeling better. Not great, but it's a step in the right direction, I think. If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you girl!
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I wish I could give you a big hug! Try to stay positive as much as you can and if you can muster up the strength to get out and get some exercise each day, it really does do wonders for your mood! Even though you might not want to go, you will start to feel better afterwards.

I hope everything works out for you and that life changes for the better for you, good luck!
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I also feel the same way very often.

You just have to sit with yourself for a few minutes, close your eyes and meditate...picture yourself skinny, successful, and beautiful. Picture yourself completing all your goals - for me its to be a model and performer on stage singing my songs to thousands of people - and then time to bring your head in it! Get mentally tough...concentrate & want it BAD...then you can open your eyes and hopefully start anew and have enough energy to get through that day.

Hope that helps! I'm here for motivation if you need me :)
  • heatherw7
    Options
    I don't know if you are religious, but my gma used to always say that these hard times are a test from God. He will give you the strength to get through it, but it is up to you to stay committed to getting through that bump in the road.

It's cold in my area, but even a walk around the block to clear your head will get you some exercise in. Maybe even when u find yourself thinking about Ur troubles, take a walk.. I don't know your situation, but I know you've lost 28 pounds so far. And that is a huge accomplishment. You can do this. Pass the test.

Sending good wishes your way and praying for you!
  • TigressStripes
    TigressStripes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I noticed you mentioned being really tired along with being depressed - have you spoken to your doctor about this?

I ask because I was (as part of a bigger issue) diagnosed several months ago as severely anemic - among the many symptoms are being tired, depression, etc...I figured I was depressed because I was out of work (at the time), and tired for the same reason. I figured that going up stairs winded me because of how overweight I am. Women tend to be anemic anyways (we don't really need to go over why that is, do we?) ... if that's an issue for you, at least it's something that can be fixed, and can make an improvement on your quality of life.

Your doctor should be able to schedule a blood test - I just went Tuesday for my most recent and it was 3 relatively small vials of blood. If you drink a lot of water before they draw, it goes really quickly.

Hope this helps you (or someone else in your shoes).
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    We've all been there, at different times, but been there! Remember that with any big adjustment, that it's totally normal to feel down.

Keep up the exercise, as it can definitely help your mood. Also, check out yoga classes!

Best of luck!!!
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm sure there's a lot more to this that what you've put on here. But I've went through (and still am to a degree) going through the same thing. You're so exhausted that the only thing you can think of doing when you need to be doing _______ is going to sleep. But as soon as you lay down, you're wide awake. Or at least that's how it is for me. Some semi-personal questions... How old is your baby? Have you been overweight long or is it a new development (with in the last 3 years) and outside of your personal body image are you generally happy with your life? You don't have to answer these questions publicly, but you could be suffering from postpartum depression. You can suffer from it from the birth of your son, but not be glaringly aware of the symptoms ... My oldest son (now 6) was a year old before I recognized the symptoms. And though I saw it sooner with my youngest (4) it was worse with him. If the weight gain is something new, like from your pregnancy ... then that's obviously understandable, depression is. Also if it's something you've struggled with all your life ... you know the feelings. The happiness of your place in life works for you and against you. When happy people tend to get comfortable and lack the motivation to change one small thing (even if it's the image you see in the mirror) also if you're unhappy, it sounds as you find your comfort in food (I do too).
    My advice to you is this ... give yourself a break. Don't look towards the numbers on the scale or the size of your clothes to judge how you perceive you're beauty (and you are beautiful), go by how you feel. And it sounds counter-intuitive but if you pull yourself out of bed or off the couch or whatever, and go to the gym, go for a walk ... heck even doing a couple of jumping jacks ... you will feel better and get energy. If you don't and this feeling worsens ... please go talk to someone or see your doctor, because it could be something else going on ... in other words it could be your body and not your mind!!
    I hope this helps you ... even a little. I will also pray for you (please don't get offended, He's where I find MY comfort and I will not force my beliefs on anyone) Keep your head up. Right now may suck, but right now is not forever~~
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    so sorry you are feeling sad :flowerforyou:

i felt the same way before, many of time. i finally had it and decided i needed to just get it out of my head, and i typed up exactly how i was feeling at the moment, printed it, folded it up and brought it to my doctor. i didn't even read what i typed. he was very worried and prescribed some anxiety and depression meds. about 6 or so months later i re-read the paper. it was pretty crazy to see how very, very different i felt. to remember the desperation was much better than living in it.

i know this is not everyone's answer and not every would agree, but they had worked very well for me. i feel like a different person - actually, i feel quite normal most of the time.

i hope you feel better soon :heart:
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I noticed you mentioned being really tired along with being depressed - have you spoken to your doctor about this?

I ask because I was (as part of a bigger issue) diagnosed several months ago as severely anemic - among the many symptoms are being tired, depression, etc...I figured I was depressed because I was out of work (at the time), and tired for the same reason. I figured that going up stairs winded me because of how overweight I am. Women tend to be anemic anyways (we don't really need to go over why that is, do we?) ... if that's an issue for you, at least it's something that can be fixed, and can make an improvement on your quality of life.

Your doctor should be able to schedule a blood test - I just went Tuesday for my most recent and it was 3 relatively small vials of blood. If you drink a lot of water before they draw, it goes really quickly.

Hope this helps you (or someone else in your shoes).

Thanks I probably should have mentioned I havent slept since I got the news on wends that is why I am tired but thanks.
  • GolfLady10
    GolfLady10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear what you are going thru. Myself I do take depression medicine that helps me greatly. I also suffer from muscular neuroapthy (spelling). This limits the use of my legs below my knee. In other words my calf and feet muscles do not work. I wear braces and am thankful for what I can do. I do to the gym at least 4 days a week and do 90 minutes of cardio. What's great is that although my balance is not the greatest I have no pain. I wear braces that allow me stay as active as I can and love to play golf.

I wonder what people think of me at the gym, when I can only walk at 3 mph and have to hang on for dear life. I sweat alot, but feel great after my hour is completed. I leave knowing I did the best I could do. I can not compare myself to others. Sometimes though I wish people would ask me what was wrong instead of staring at me for the way I walk.

Stay tough you can do this, believe in yourself and know you are not alone. There are plenty of us out there to support you.
  • KimbersNewLife
    Options
    so sorry you are feeling sad :flowerforyou:

i felt the same way before, many of time. i finally had it and decided i needed to just get it out of my head, and i typed up exactly how i was feeling at the moment, printed it, folded it up and brought it to my doctor. i didn't even read what i typed. he was very worried and prescribed some anxiety and depression meds. about 6 or so months later i re-read the paper. it was pretty crazy to see how very, very different i felt. to remember the desperation was much better than living in it.

i know this is not everyone's answer and not every would agree, but they had worked very well for me. i feel like a different person - actually, i feel quite normal most of the time.

i hope you feel better soon :heart:

Thanks I appreciate it, trust me I know I lost a baby before I had my son so I know how important getting help is. This is not that kind of sadness. Sorry I didnt explain everything here I wrote it out in my blog- long story but basically I found out the company I have been with my whole adult life is letting all of us go by the end of the year, I don't know when yet. I just feel a little lost and sad about leaving my friends it's certainly normal for me to feel this way I just hate that it is messing with my fitness but it is what it is. I so appreciate your concern and help though and to anyone reading this if you are ever too depressed do go see your doctor because medicine can help you.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • KimbersNewLife
    Options
    I'm sure there's a lot more to this that what you've put on here. But I've went through (and still am to a degree) going through the same thing. You're so exhausted that the only thing you can think of doing when you need to be doing _______ is going to sleep. But as soon as you lay down, you're wide awake. Or at least that's how it is for me. Some semi-personal questions... How old is your baby? Have you been overweight long or is it a new development (with in the last 3 years) and outside of your personal body image are you generally happy with your life? You don't have to answer these questions publicly, but you could be suffering from postpartum depression. You can suffer from it from the birth of your son, but not be glaringly aware of the symptoms ... My oldest son (now 6) was a year old before I recognized the symptoms. And though I saw it sooner with my youngest (4) it was worse with him. If the weight gain is something new, like from your pregnancy ... then that's obviously understandable, depression is. Also if it's something you've struggled with all your life ... you know the feelings. The happiness of your place in life works for you and against you. When happy people tend to get comfortable and lack the motivation to change one small thing (even if it's the image you see in the mirror) also if you're unhappy, it sounds as you find your comfort in food (I do too).
    My advice to you is this ... give yourself a break. Don't look towards the numbers on the scale or the size of your clothes to judge how you perceive you're beauty (and you are beautiful), go by how you feel. And it sounds counter-intuitive but if you pull yourself out of bed or off the couch or whatever, and go to the gym, go for a walk ... heck even doing a couple of jumping jacks ... you will feel better and get energy. If you don't and this feeling worsens ... please go talk to someone or see your doctor, because it could be something else going on ... in other words it could be your body and not your mind!!
    I hope this helps you ... even a little. I will also pray for you (please don't get offended, He's where I find MY comfort and I will not force my beliefs on anyone) Keep your head up. Right now may suck, but right now is not forever~~

Thanks I appreciate that it is nothing like that I promise. I wrote about all of it in my blog- long story but it is something that will pass and something that I wouldnt be human if I wasnt sad about. I just hate that I can't get myself together sooner and I am not offended at all I love the Lord he is why when all my coworkers are loosing their minds and staying home with the shades drawn I am able to get dressed put my best foot forward and go to work. It just drains me and you are right I need to do small things to increase my energy. Thanks so much. By the way my son is going to be three in June I lost my first baby so I was way too excited and blessed after going through all that for any depression after having him. I got all that out of the way when I lost the first one and trust me I know that the Lord is here and will carry me through I just need to give myself a break like you said and quit being so hard on myself.
  • KimbersNewLife
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear what you are going thru. Myself I do take depression medicine that helps me greatly. I also suffer from muscular neuroapthy (spelling). This limits the use of my legs below my knee. In other words my calf and feet muscles do not work. I wear braces and am thankful for what I can do. I do to the gym at least 4 days a week and do 90 minutes of cardio. What's great is that although my balance is not the greatest I have no pain. I wear braces that allow me stay as active as I can and love to play golf.

I wonder what people think of me at the gym, when I can only walk at 3 mph and have to hang on for dear life. I sweat alot, but feel great after my hour is completed. I leave knowing I did the best I could do. I can not compare myself to others. Sometimes though I wish people would ask me what was wrong instead of staring at me for the way I walk.

Stay tough you can do this, believe in yourself and know you are not alone. There are plenty of us out there to support you.
    You know what people think at the gym "Wow what an amazing and strong individual" Anybody whining because they have no energy should be instead grateful for the ability to go work out. And anyone like you is just one amazing person!!!: Wow I feel motivated! Thank you!!! flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • raynene
    raynene Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    as a women i understand! its tough to fit everything in all in one day..but i was having the same problem, not being able to sleep well at night then having to get up early for work then driving 40 miles to get there! and then try to work out! first try and fig. out what is keeping you up all night? im kinda going thru (pre) menopause on top of a million things on my mind. I like to try and do everything natural...melatonin helps me every now and then. or a sleepy time tea..or maybe a body pillow could be of help?
    maybe a soothing CD at night?
    Hang in there, i think there's more of us out there who expericence the same kinda stuff :)
  • marianna0056
    marianna0056 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are feeling sad. I found that when I ate SIMPLE Carbs, or overate, I was groggy with no energy and would take naps in the day. Then, of course, you don't feel tired at bedtime. What I have been doing is eating less of those breads, potatoes, rice, etc...and I feel more energy after eating proteins and complex carbs, like veggies. Those carbs are addicting. I have to really figure out what to eat to avoid them.
    The South Beach Diet seems to give some good suggestions. Maybe if you try to eliminate those foods for a little while, you will see an improvement in your energy level, and mood, and sleeping habits. Just one word of caution....use some fiber while you do this or it will cause you painful constipation. I know, it happened to me. Now I am just more moderate about the use of the carbs. And drink lots of water!!!!
    The other poster who suggested you get your blood work done is wise to advise you on that. You could be anemic, or have insulin resistance. Get your blood sugar checked too!
    Hang in there.. sometimes winter can bring on the Season Affective Disorder, (SAD) You may need some sunlight. Vitamin D is helpful if you don't get a lot of light in your day. Hope some of these suggestions help you out. We are all rooting for you!!!
  • heather0mc
    Options
    kimber - you are totally going to make it through this just fine! it is good that you were able to reach out and talk about it :flowerforyou:
  • heather0mc
    Options

if i saw you at the gym, working as hard as you work, it would totally get my butt in gear. and i would definitely speak to you rather than just stare :heart: and wouldn't even wonder exactly what was wrong - I would just see a lady who is being healthy and working hard at it. :flowerforyou:

there is a man at my gym that has something, maybe a palsy of some kind, and one side of his body doesn't work right. but he is there, every day, working on being stronger. i love seeing him and he inspires me as well.