YMCA personal trainers?

Options
do they usually cost alot? and do they do stuff kind of like the tv show "i used to be fat" because i kind of want that.. like do they just tell you what exersizes to do at home, or do you do the exersizes at the gym ? :) also, will haveing a personal trainer make me just gain muscle, or will i lose weight first?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing for you to do is go to the YMCA where you plan on seeking a personal trainer and asking those questions to them so you know for sure. Trainers in different areas charge different amounts, and those affiliated with certains gyms or clubs charge what the club tells them to charge.

Trainers will help you make the best use of all the gym equipment, and I am sure that if you ask them what you can do at home they will help you out with that as well.

A good trainer who knows that your goal is weight loss will design a program geared for just that. Of course you will be building lean muscle mass, but you will NOT bulk up unless you are taking steroids and working out and eating like a bodybuilder. Most women fear bulking up but really do not need to at all. Besides, when you build lean muscle mass, you are increasing your metabolism which means that you will have the potential to burn more fat while you are doing nothing at all. Lean and fit people burn more calories just by existing than overweight people...and also, the lean muscle you put on will help you to last longer in your workouts and be able to push harder which also helps you burn more calories and fat.

Also remember that when you start a new program, you are probably going to be retaining a little water...not because of diet issues or lack of water intake, but because when you use muscles in new workout programs the muscles hold more water to repair them after you finish working out. This normally lasts between 2 days and 2 weeks...but after that, your weight will definitely start to plummet.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You should go to speak to someone at your local YMCA about pricing and your goals. My personal experience with a YMCA personal trainer has been amazing. I highly suggest the Y personal trainers to anybody because they go above and beyond for you
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    All of them charge different amounts. The ones at my Y walk through your workout with you-except for the 20 of cardio. They would rather you didn't do anything at home, because they can't track it.

The one at mine also do a "mini-trainer" session. They walk you through once (free) give you a tracking device (a little key fits in the machine) and off you go. I do it about once a month, so my goals can be reset if needed. (I can't afford a trainer)
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Options
    I work as a Trainer at a YMCA! Every Y is differnet on prices. We have a plan that is slightly cheaper if you do training with a friend/partner. Thanks for all your wonderful comments about Y trainers!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    the ones at mine charge 40 dollars per hour if you are a member.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My trainer doesn't charge a thing. But then again I work out in a military complex.