Swimming confusion!

synchrohobbit
synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been in the pool most of my life and currently swim 2 miles every other day. Swimming was literally my only activity for years, and after I went through a massive weight gain swimming every day just stripped it off. Although my lower body has a ways to go my upper body has always had a small amount of subcutaneous fat. I have been sort of shocked to read all these posts about swimming being ineffective, how you can't lose weight doing it alone, how it is not a good exercise. What is this about?! I can understand that people might overestimate their effort if they are not used to the water, but there must be other reasons and I just don't want them to be scaring people away!

Replies

• sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Swimming is amazing exercise. I did a water treadmill when I was sick and it helped me walk again...
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Oh, no. Swimming will do it. My body was HOT when I was swimming about as much as you are-- 2 mi every other day. I was not a fast swimmer by any means-- a "plodder in the water" but I kept at in and swam like 2 mi in over an hour and I got down to about 128 and lean all over. I don't have easy access to a pool any more. Boo.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Swimming is good exercise, but you have watch the water temperature. If the water isn't warm enough your body will start creating a thicker layer of subcutaneous fat to keep you warm. It's very easy for our bodies to lose heat in the water.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Swimming is an awesome fat burner/toner! I just wish that I could do more than doggy paddle..:laugh: I was actually talking with a friend yesterday and I told her I am almost tempted to take swimming lessons!
  • Yeah, it's a great cardio workout! I used to swim all the time. My problem was that I was doing the breaststroke for miles instead of freestyle and that, plus other "wrong" strenuous exercises, caused knee problems for me. I would agree that it's a good idea to add some weight training though... at least a little bit.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    I used to love swimming (although my blonde hair turned green) & was an avid swimmer from the age of 7 until 21 years ago. After my head injury, I can no longer go underwater because it makes me dizzy.
    I was in great shape when I did swim, but after having 2 kids & my car accident - swimming is just a happy memory for me.
    We have a community pool in our HOA that I have never been to for 3 reasons:
    1. It has a rope dividing the deep end from the shallow end, so I can't do laps.
    2. I will not let my neighbors see me in a bathing suit
    3. I am afraid that one of the kids would mistake me for a beached whale.
    Yes, I do have low self-esteem issues - but I do miss swimming SO much.
  • Ive only just started swimming, I must admit I used to be one of those people that seriously under estimates swimming but now ive started it (only once a week for now) im going to prove myself wrong. Even though it isnt the same feeling as doing a cardio workout in the gym I still felt out of breath as i was swimming. Im a very weak swimmer so was only taking it slow and having to stop for a little rest every few lengths aswell but im hoping my strength will build up in time and then I will start going as often as i can. Would love any tips off you guys on how to get the best out of a swimming session :smile:
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    A lot of times people who are in shape on land but are just starting to swim will be pretty good kickers, so you might find that at the beginning you feel like you can work harder kicking. Another problem is, of course, the breathing, so people's lungs will get tired and they have to take a break, meaning the HR is not sustained. I would suggest switching off between freestyle and backstroke, and then doing some kicking, and then going back to swimming. Hope that helped a little!
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Studies are a double-edged sword, and then you've got popular magazines and web sites that dumb down results until they become actual falsenesses...

What I understand is that there have been studies that took a bunch of people and added various types of exercise into their weekly routines. With some types people tended to lose weight (not much, if diet wasn't specifically controlled, but steadily). With swimming, this was less the case and the reason seemed to be that many people reported increased appetite from swimming. They were essentially eating back all the burnt calories.

Now in reality there are two points to consider:

a) People *vary*. You may well be someone who doesn't experience increased food intake when you swim.
    b) Even for someone who *would* tend to feel hungrier from swimming, if they control actual food intake by counting calories, they'll still benefit from the expenditure.
  • I would suggest switching off between freestyle and backstroke, and then doing some kicking, and then going back to swimming. Hope that helped a little!

Thats what ive been doing actually so glad im doing the right thing. Ive been alternating between breast stroke, front crawl and back stroke. Im really enjoying it so far though and it must be doing something for me as my muscles ache the next day. Any other tips would be gratefully received if anyone has any.
This discussion has been closed.