Distance and Speed

TimH1970
TimH1970 Posts: 16
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay quick question, for the last few days I had been estimating the speed I have been walking and set it at 3mph. Today I walked my usual route I decided to map it on google pedometer to see how far I was actually walking whenb I got back. Well I was excited to see that my walk was 4.2 miles, most of it on sand which seems to make it harder. I am trying to work out how many calories that would be...

Questions I have...

Do you burn more calories walking on sand than a hard surface, I am thinking you must as its harder to walk on. How much more would that be?

How do you work out how fast I am walking? if I walk 4.2 miles in 70 mins, what is my mph?

Thanks

Tim

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    4.2/70*60= 3.6 MPH
    (4.2/70 gives you your "miles per minute" = 0.06; and then that "miles per minute" X 60 minutes gives you miles per hour = 3.6
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    I would totally think that you're burning way more calories walking in sand... the only way to know for sure would be to get a heart rate monitor... or you could take your pulse for 10 mins of sand walking and compare that to 10 mins of road walking.

http://www.cchs.net/health/health-info/docs/0900/0984.asp?index=5508
  • runjenrun
    runjenrun Posts: 5 Member
    i am very jealous! but walking in the sand supposedly can burn up to 50% more calories than walking in the grass or on a hard surface. so I suppose the best way to estimate would probably be you burn roughly 100 calories per mile. so if you walked 4.2 that would be about 420 calories, or if you have a more exact number use that. then 50% of 420 is 210 so you'd add those two numbers together. So your max calorie burn would have been roughly 600 calories! which is awesome!

To figure out your speed I would turn your minutes to hours...so you went for 1 and 1/6 hours. Take your mileage divided by your hours to get your mph....for this particular day you were going about 3.6 mph.

Hope this helps :)
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 666 Member
    • Choose varied terrains. Walking on grass or gravel burns more calories than walking on a track. And walking on soft sand increases caloric expenditure by almost 50%, if you can keep up the pace.

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/fw/fwFit04Walking.html

This is just an estimate of course w/o some sort of HRM or something like that it would be hard to calculate.
  • Looking at my options on logging excersises I can log it as cross country hiking and for 70 mins of that it burns 777 calories so I am thinking that maybe a better option.
  • Thanks all for your input, great information!!!
This discussion has been closed.