Scale Phobia

Options
I hate the scale. I have always hated the scale. I don't like weight numbers. I find there is too much emphasis on how much one should weight however I realize it is one way to track progress. I know taking measurements is another but can I just ignore the scale altogether?

I have also discovered that our scale could have been lying to me or I have a lot of excess water weight from the last few days because I went from 184 back to 187. I realize it is only a few pounds and shouldn't fret but I am so SICK Of seeing 188 189. SICK of it. The scale one morning told me 184 and then later it said 187 (within the time it takes me to shower. I do this sometime because it is early in the morning and I forget the number in that short amount of time because well I am not a morning person) so I tested this morning by putting my feet almost dead center and then just slightly back a little and it ready 187 the first time and then 183 the second time. I think my scale has issues. It never used to pull this before.

Should I maybe stay away from my scale for a week or so?

Replies

• lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here is a topic I posted last week. I agree with you 100% about the scale:

I was getting so frustrated about how inconsistent my bathroom scale is, (I'd gain a pound while I was in the shower, and another after I shaved) that I decided to get a new, fancier scale. Of course I weigh this morning and it registers 6 lbs heavier than my old scale! Now I don't know what to believe. If I go with the new weight, it will mess up my MFP progress and that means I have another 6 lbs to lose to get to my goal wieght. Guess I should have stuck with my crappy scale! I'll give it a few more days and see if things even out--my official weigh in isn't until Friday but it was a shot to the stomach this morning. :(
  • helenamonks
    Options
    IDK if this will work for you, but I wake up at the same time every morning so I don't have to worry about time being an issue, but everyday I get up at 6:45, use the bathroom, then weigh. At the same time, I also have my scale close to the wall so I know that I position myself the same way. If it shows a loss, I normally get on and off 3 times to get the same measurement to be sure it wasnt the way I was standing. I wouldn't suggest more than once a week, for you especially if you have a scale phobia and DEFINITELY not more than once a day.

Also they say your water weight fluctuates so you should pick one day that you know you wake up at the same time, weigh, measure etc all on the same day at the same time every week. that way your results arent affected by that variant.
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    I think you should invest in a new scale! Even if you only use it once in a while it will save you from unnecessary anxiety that you wrote about. You should make sure you put in on a very flat, even and solid surface.
    I know the numbers are depressing sometimes, but just think of how great it will feel once you begin to have your small victories!
    Good luck!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a new scale? I'm unsure why it would change - especially after havin' a shower etc? I use to weight myself every mornin' after my mornin' pee...to hope for a change etc. But, I have stopped doin' that - and goin' to try to weight in every Monday Mornin' - and maybe after that weight in on the 6th of every month, that is when I started was Dec 6th 2010. I think seein' people's weight gain or loss triggers somethin' inside of us to go and weight ourselves from this site LOL.
    I wish you the best with the love/hate relationship with your scale. xo
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you need to invest in a better scale, which means spending more money. I would do some research before you buy so you know for sure you are getting a quality scale. I agree with others weigh yourself at the same time of day and not more than once especially if you hate the scale. You can't let the scale be so important. I have in the past weighed myself multiple times in a week and freak out because I fluctuate up and down from day to day. I started measuring along with weighing in that way if the scale is not kind, usually the measurements will reflect a good change.

Hang in there, you are doing great, your body is becoming more healthy everyday!
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    I would suggest new scales. my old scales would weigh me a different weight, even if i got on them 3 times back to back. which made me obess with the number repeditly stepping on it until i got a low number. i got some new ones which had me weighing 3 lbs heavier than the old ones (which really meant i was 3 lbs. heavier than i taught i was when i started, therefore i still had lost the same amount of weight). currently i weigh every morning after using the bathroom and nakie, my numbers still bounce around day to day because of factors. ex... i was 194.4, then went to 196.0 the next morning, i had chilli (high sodium) for dinner the night before, the next morning i was 193.2. if u r hitting the gym hard then u will gain muscle and not see your numbers drop. i measure once a month also. from dec 4 to jan 4 i only loss one lb. although i loss 5 inches on my body. add me if you like and best wishes.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    I would suggest new scales. my old scales would weigh me a different weight, even if i got on them 3 times back to back. which made me obess with the number repeditly stepping on it until i got a low number. i got some new ones which had me weighing 3 lbs heavier than the old ones (which really meant i was 3 lbs. heavier than i taught i was when i started, therefore i still had lost the same amount of weight). currently i weigh every morning after using the bathroom and nakie, my numbers still bounce around day to day because of factors. ex... i was 194.4, then went to 196.0 the next morning, i had chilli (high sodium) for dinner the night before, the next morning i was 193.2. if u r hitting the gym hard then u will gain muscle and not see your numbers drop. i measure once a month also. from dec 4 to jan 4 i only loss one lb. although i loss 5 inches on my body. add me if you like and best wishes.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I know the scale is a of decent quality as my fiancee was the one who purchased it and he too is on a weight loss journey. I think we will stick with it. He did point out to me that if I have been standing on it funny then no worries because either way I have lost and that is all that matters.

Thanks for all the tips folks!
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    So update. The scale is telling me numbers i am ignoring at this point because my clothes are telling me that I am doing something right. They are not as tight and slowly but surly the evil scale will tell me the same.
    I at this time am just assuming I am gaining back muscle. :)

Go me and die evil scale.