Build muscles while doing cardio?

Options
Hi All,

I just wanted to know while we do cardio exercises like elliptical machine, do we build muscles or we only burn off calories?

Thanks!

Replies

• rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, cardio burns calories and reduces body fat, which will make you appear leaner. Strength training helps build muscle, and will define your muscles. It is hard to see muscles under a layer of fat, which is why doing a good balance of cardio and strength training works best.
  • joonna
    joonna Posts: 12
    Options
    I meant is is it possible to build muscle weight with cardio because I've heard joggin would build bigger calves!
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    With my experience cardio purely burns fat. If I want to zap the fat, I run, bike, and do aerobics. But if I want to define my muscles, I do a combo of cardio to lost the fat, but also so strength training a few times a week. That is when I really build the muscles.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You are using your muscles more than normal so yes, you will be gaining more muscle mass. Only in calves and thighs though. This will be lean muscle as well. If you want to build more than just lean muscle then add some strength training into it and the more muscle you build, the more fat you burn.
  • joonna
    joonna Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank You, my calves are huge!
  • Cudders
    Cudders Posts: 28
    Options
    I definitely built muscles in my lower body, especially calves, when training for long distance running. I also know cyclists who have quite muscular arms without touching a weight! My friend who used to compete in cycling said it just the pulling and pushing with upper body against the bars when cycling and climbing hills.

Be proud of those calves! :-)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    When you do any activity, the body adapts to the demand of that activity. So whether or not you gain strength or increase muscle doing cardio exercise depends on your fitness level, muscle strength level, type and volume of exercise.

In general, the resistance and strength required to do cardio is fairly low, so after an initial adaptation there is little further improvement. In many cases a high volume of endurance training can actually decrease the size of some muscles (one of the reasons why long-term, older runners often have knee pain).

In some cases, a really high volume of cardio training can result in some increase in muscle size, however this is not only very specific to the type of training involved, but also extremely dependent on the genetic makeup of the individual.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was always told that to build muscle, you needed to take in more calories than you burnt and to lose fat, you needed to take in fewer calories than you burn, so it wouldn't be possible to do both at the same time (trying to suck and blow at the same time). What you might be doing is making the muscles visible with the layer of fat gone.

I don't know much though, so don't quote me, but that's what I always understood.