Hi! Newbie here!

Options
Hi! I'm Stephanie. I'm 26, and I'm currently in desperate need of lifestyle change. So I am doing it. Getting the exercise ball rolling is a little tough, but I am doing what I can right now. Which is better than nothing, right?

I was on a horrible med called Seroquel XR and it made me gain over 100lbs. I've already lost 56 just by going off of it, so that's good! But while I was on Seroquel, I had been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. That's when I decided I definitely needed to make a lifestyle change. The first step was to get off that awful med (which proved to be hard, but well worth it), and turn my health around so it didn't turn into full blown diabetes.

So here I am today. Serouqel XR free, 56lbs lighter and a lot more to go. But I am ready! BRING IT ON! :)

Replies

• jwb201
    jwb201 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keep up that great attitude! Count those calories and move more than you usually do and watch the melting begin. Good luck!
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • becky4bears
    Options
    Hi Stephanie!
    I'm Becky. Like you, I am on a few anti-depressants (currently cymbalta and wellbutrin) and they do contribute to weight gain. Good for you for being able to take yourself off of the seroquel! I'm sure that wasn't easy!

I am insulin resistant, so I try to eat only good carbs when I eat carbohydrates. Nothing white (bread, sugar, cereals, etc). I read packages and make sure that if they claim it is 100% whole wheat that the ingredients listed support that!! I try to get most of my calories from protein and most of my carbs from healthy fruits and veggies!

Good luck!! You can do it!!
  • sherrik10
    sherrik10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome. I was also diagnosed as pre diabetic. I am on 500 mg of metformin I take daily. I also take 20 mg of lipitor. I am trying really hard to get off of these meds or at least not take as much. I have been watching what I eat and exercising faithfully for the past month. This sight is wonderful! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • anchorsaweigh7
    anchorsaweigh7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    good luck!! and yeah, with such a great attitude, i'm sure you'll be able to accomplish the goals you have set for yourself & the lbs will come off before ya know it!
  • bassetthree
    bassetthree Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi Newbie!! You can do this! I am new here too... tomorrow will be my first weigh in. The hardest part so far was the commitment to give it a try. I take Metformin ER 500mg twice per day and Simvastatin for high cholesterol and hope to not have to take medication in the future.
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Being pre-diabetic I'm sure you already know it's important for you to eat some protein with every meal and snack?

Just thought I'd mention it anyway :-)

Good luck! It looks like you've come a long way already!
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    Being pre-diabetic I'm sure you already know it's important for you to eat some protein with every meal and snack?

Just thought I'd mention it anyway :-)

Good luck! It looks like you've come a long way already!

Yes, I do! :)

And thank you everyone! :)