Muscle related weight gain ... Myth?

cmw72
cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Often I see people on these forums discouraged when the scale doesn't change despite their best efforts of dieting and exercise. Frequently, people comment that they are probably building muscle and since muscle weighs more than fat, that is the explanation for the weight gain.

However, I've been reading up on bodybuilding lately, and everything I've read so far says you can not gain muscle mass while at a caloric deficit. I have read though that when you do strength training, your muscles will retain water as the body tries to repair those tissues, which could account for a gain in weight.

Can anybody with more bodybuilding experience shed some light on this?

Replies

• roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Not the case fully. I have lost a lot of weight while becoming very strong. I have lost fat and gained muscle on a calorie deficit. My body type actually helps this a lot.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    It is in some ways (the ways where you see it discussed most) a myth. What is usually happening on the forums is that people don't lose for a week while their skin and organs are adjusting themselves to a loss. The freak and workout a ton, pushing the crap out of their muscles (and often dont eat enough out of guilt, but whole other discussion) so those muscles retain water to repair. So the next week they even see a gain.

You cannot "build muscle" on a caloric deficit, at least from my understanding. But strength training is still a big part of overall fitness, caloric deficit or not.
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Not the case fully. I have lost a lot of weight while becoming very strong. I have lost fat and gained muscle on a calorie deficit. My body type actually helps this a lot.
    +1, but I will also add, that you need to do resistance training to build any large quantity of muscle, walking around the block won't turn 300lbs of fat into 300lbs of muscle, even with all the steroids in the world.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Not a body builder but to me a pound is a pound. So a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. However, fat does nothing for you. With mmuscle you are stronger annd burn more calories because they an active entity in your body. Is there a ,scientific proof to my theoryy, don't know but seems like common sense.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    From what I've read ... Strength training while dieting prevents muscle loss, and increases strength to a degree but does NOT create muscle mass. There are other benefits as well.

The dieter says stick to your caloric deficit and exercise a bunch to lose fat.

The bodybuilder says eat a ton of good calories and pump iron to lose body fat while gaining muscle mass.

So then the question becomes ... Who's right? Which is the better approach?
  • roylawrence87
    I eat a ton. And I work my *kitten* off. I pump iron and do a lot of cardio. I stopped losing weight quite some time ago. I am still leaning up so something is working. I can do some amazing stuff dealing with strength.
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    From what I've read ... Strength training while dieting prevents muscle loss, and increases strength to a degree but does NOT create muscle mass. There are other benefits as well.

The bodybuilder says eat a ton of good calories and pump iron to lose body fat while gaining muscle mass.

Its all about nutrition, not calories. You CAN increase muscle mass and loose weight, and it can be measured. I couldn't do a dumbbell press with more than 10kg when I started now I press 35kg in each hand, I couldn't do a sit up, now I can do 250, I couldn't do a pushup, now I can do 100, I couldn't do a chin up, now I can do 25 and I've lost over a hundred pounds getting stronger and increasing lean body mass. I hope this helps. Once you gain muscle, you WILL burn your fat away faster. they are a hungry monster, it's where you metabolism lives and it changes your body shape, it makes you look younger. Now go hit the iron :smile:
  • roylawrence87

Its all about nutrition, not calories. You CAN increase muscle mass and loose weight, and it can be measured. I couldn't do a dumbbell press with more than 10kg when I started now I press 35kg in each hand, I couldn't do a sit up, now I can do 250, I couldn't do a pushup, now I can do 100, I couldn't do a chin up, now I can do 25 and I've lost over a hundred pounds getting stronger and increasing lean body mass. I hope this helps. Once you gain muscle, you WILL burn your fat away faster. they are a hungry monster, it's where you metabolism lives and it changes your body shape, it makes you look younger. Now go hit the iron :smile:
    Where is the like button when you need one? Ive done this. This is what body builders do.
This discussion has been closed.