For you blood donors out there...

Options
How long do you need before you're able to do workouts at normal intensity? Last time I donated it took several weeks for me to get back on track, primarily because I convinced myself to take it too easy and stopped pushing myself. All I've found through searching the internet is that the first week won't be fun, but nobody's said anything about how long it takes to get back to where you were. Any info would be welcome!

(And also, from my blood-banking heart, thanks for being awesome blood-donating people!!!)

Replies

• 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    give yourself a day or two at the most. Take a milti vitamin and increase your fluids for a day or two and you should be back to normal. When you do get back to working out listen to your body. If you get dizzy slow down your pace or weight for a day or two. I usually go for a walk the evening after I donate and let myself have a cheat day on food.

As for intensity I guess it depends on what you do. I was a little short of breath the first two days doing 30 day shred after donating and I don't know how folks that do P90x fare but our bodies are meant to compensate rapidly for that blood loss so it shouldn't take too long.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to donate since I started working out. Working with my doctor on getting my iron levels back up there, because his tests do not show me anaemic, but I just miss the requirement to donate. Hoping to get back to donating soon, as I know how important it is.

Listen to your body, eat iron rich foods and drink fluids. Maybe a few days of rest, a few days easy and then increase intensity as long as you don't feel weak.
  • jcope001
    Options
    I donate every 56 days like clockwork,and I work out the next day.I also drink lots of water,eat good proteins and try to get good sleep to replenish. I know if I don't jump right back on the horse I can get sidetracked really easy. I read somewhere that donating a pint takes out 600 calories so there is some incentive for others thinking about donating.Don't overdo it by any means. I fainted in Walmart once and that wasn't very fun.