Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

Options
jessmomof3
jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
I made a whole wheat pizza for the family tonight and it was a HUGE hit!! They all loved it!! I

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amazing-Whole-Wheat-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx

Here's the recipe that I used and I'll add in my *tweaks*.

Ingredients
1 teaspoon white sugar (I think next time I'll use 1 tsp. honey instead)
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup flour + 1/2 cup cornmeal)

Directions
1.In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.

2.Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

3.When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled. (I made it into 3 balls for a thinner crust pizza)

4.Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan. Top pizza with your favorite toppings, such as sauce, cheese, meats, or vegetables.

5.Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top. (I prebaked the crust w/ a little sauce first for about 5 minutes, then topped w/ toppings and baked until cheese melted, another 7 minutes or so and I also used my pizza stone)

From the ingredients that I used and figured out, it makes 30 pieces (I made 3 thin crust pizzas, 10 slices per pizza)

1 piece (just crust... without toppings, you'll have to figure that separately):

55 calories/ 11g carb/ 1g fiber/ 1 g fat/ 2g protein

I added it to the database under Jess Homemade whole wheat pizza crust

Replies

• thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy! Cant wait to try it! Thanks for sharing:)
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    sounds yummy! Cant wait to try it! Thanks for sharing:)

You're welcome! I love finding recipes that my whole family loves! My daughters all said it was the best pizza ever!! (of course, that could be because they were starving after a basketball game, but whatever. :laugh: ) Oh, and I topped it w/ organic pizza sauce, canadian bacon, turkey pepperoni, mozzarella and parmesan cheese, and mushrooms (would have added more veggies, but they prefer raw veggies!).
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I will definitely be trying this! I have a question...I have never made bread or crust or anything with yeast before, so this might sound like a stupid question. Can I omit the salt or is it important to the rising or something?
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I will definitely be trying this! I have a question...I have never made bread or crust or anything with yeast before, so this might sound like a stupid question. Can I omit the salt or is it important to the rising or something?

You need the salt for the recipe. It's just a teaspoon for the whole recipe so it's not much!
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    sounds great!! Ive got to try it!!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump

Sounds delish Jess!
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge pizza fan! Must try.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm a huge pizza fan! Must try.

My kids finished off the leftovers for lunch. They all requested that I make it again soon!
  • sabeen05
    sabeen05 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i have the same recipe but have not used sugar before. I may try that next time to see how that changes the taste. I also use organic whole wheat flour instead. It tastes yummy and i don't feel guilty eating pizza as much anymore:-)