Exercise, calories, and encouragement

absie107
absie107 Posts: 290
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've noticed that sometimes people are consuming less than 1200 a day... and then are encouraged for it. Now, I don't want to judge, we all make our own decisions regarding food and I want to be supportive. However... sometimes it seems as if people are setting rather unrealistic (in my humble opinion) weight loss goals, or that they are semi-faciliating a semi-eating-disorder.

I'm 5'3" and about 139-140, on a medium frame, after having lost and kept off over 20 pounds. I'm still trying to lose some extra flab that I'm not a huge fan of, but I'm moreover happy that I'm more muscular and in better shape (despite my knees recently giving out... and mild hypothyroidism out of nowhere, thanks genetics). Due to my knees being screwed up at the moment, I'm working out something like 4-5x per week - 4x strength training and 4-5x cardio (lap swimming so that I don't put too much pressure on anything). I also walk a lot (anywhere from 2-4 miles per day on weekdays) and am on my feet for music ensembles due to being a college student. I've been plateaued since September, but part of that has been due to random bingeing and.. of course as I just recently learned... hypothyroidism. Hopefully meds will remedy the latter.

My weight loss goals are more about inches/confidence in my physical appearance than numbers, and also about consuming more whole, unprocessed foods and generally not a lot of meat. I've set my net calorie goal at around 1400, and I generally eat most of my exercise calories back. I realize that this means weight loss will take a while... a long while. But I want your opinions - is eating this much a bad thing or a good thing? Or is it neither? Realistic for slow and steady weight loss? Can anybody speak from personal experience?

What are your goals, MFP-ers? When you see someone, no matter their current weight, logging 900 calories.. or just not log a ton after having worked out that day.. do you say 'congrats' or do you wonder whether or not that goal is realistic, sustainable, or effective? I don't think I'll ever restrict myself to 1200 calories on days that I work out, or even on days that I don't, but again, I just am curious about peoples views on eating that little (or, as I'm sure some people may perceive it, that MUCH).

Replies

• billylindsay
    billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
    i was frantic at the start and dont get me wrong i welcomed no embraced the 33 pounds off. but have recently upped my calorie intake and reduced my weight loss goal will take me longer to achieve but i am feeling better for it and surprisingly stronger.
  • bump
  • monibee
    monibee Posts: 19 Member
    I would never encourage it. In fact, I keep telling people that they need to eat more! I upped my calories 200/day one week and I still lost 1.5lbs! Your body needs adjusted calorie intake. I may have a lower calorie day (though I never go that low!) and then a couple average days and 1 higher calorie day per week. I mix it up. People that starve themselves are just uneducated about weight loss and can do a lot of harm to their bodies.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    thank you for your input! sometimes I'm not sure how to deal with it when people are so encouraging of undereating... calorie counting is pretty wishy-washy because the processed calories aren't going to help as much as unprocessed. and its a number on a scale - sure, it does have some indication of health, but its really more about how comfortable you feel in your own skin.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    You are doing it exactly the right way. You could always eat less exercise cals, but it sounds like you are very in tune with what your body needs. If you feel like your metabolism works better at that number, (like mine does) then that's what you should do. No one should be congratulated for eating 900 cals a day. Once your knees are better you can kick it up again and the weight will come off faster. Either way it sounds like your brain is in the right space.
  • If it feels right for you hun, keep doing it! You're listening to your body and giving it what you feel it needs. By the sounds of it you're a very active person, you need all the nutrition you can get. Your goals are sensible and I'm sure you'll be very successful!

I also get frustrated seeing comments like "Great work!" when people consistently log under 1200. But we're all on our own journey, and some people just have to learn the hard way. It's not like there's not a million posts on here about the dangers of consistently going under 1200 calories!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I think too many people are more concerned about being "skinny" than healthy. I don't care what the number on the scale says... but I'm also a hypocrite because I'm really proud of the 8 pounds I've lost, and have a vague idea of how much more I'd like to lose. At 5'5, I'd like to be about 135. Maybe more maybe less. I'll know better when I'm closer. If my mushy bits stop being mushy and I stay the same weight I am now, I'd be fine with that.

But really, it's about being healthy. I'm *more* proud that I went from never, ever having jogged at all, unless forced in gym class 20 years ago, to being able to jog almost two miles after 5 weeks, than having lost those 8 pounds in about the same amount of time.

It makes me sad when I see people say they want to be skinny, or the old "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" saying. Skinny should not be anyone's goal. Healthy should be. I've been skinny. It wasn't fun.
  • diamond419
    diamond419 Posts: 23 Member
    Very good point! If this is to be a true lifestyle change, we must be honest with ourselves about what we will be able to maintain for the long term. It would be such a waste of time and efforts to greatly restrict calories now, reach goals, and the "celebrate" by eating more again.... Less than 1200 is simply not enough nutrition to be healthy!
This discussion has been closed.