Food Addict

Options
Hey all,

My name is Melissa. I'm new here. I am a type 1 diabetic for 15 yeras now. Recently had a "bad report" from my endocrinologist wants to put me on an ACE inhibitor because I have small amounts of protein in my urine. My cholesterol is on the higher end of normal. I'm 5 9 and 218. I've always been an average size girl, not big until now. I need help. I cannot stop eating Zaxby's and such. They know my order by heart!! But it's soo good! What can I do to help me stop and get back healthy? I want to live a long healthy life free of dialysis.

Replies

• sixxbaby
    sixxbaby Posts: 543
    Options
    well I don't know what Zaxby's is, but I know from experience the only way to get away from bad foods is to start eating good foods, and after a few weeks of being on the right track and drinking plenty of water, it dies get easier I promise...Add me if you need support I am a great motivator...LOL
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I think possibly getting into a low impact exercise program, either at the gym, with dvds, exergames, etc could help bring your blood sugar levels lower. One of the great things about mfp is that so many foods are already listed. So for example you realize that eating nuts is like a super calorie thing to do! Maybe writing down what your meals and snacks are in advance here at MFP will help guide you into eating less calories........
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    it seem like i am a food addict to cant stay with small portion or eat healthy trying not going to give up
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Same with any addiction... stay away. Don't flirt with it, don't look at it, don't even entertain it. Drive home a different route, even if it takes 10 minutes longer, if it means avoiding the temptation. Your health is worth WAY more than Zaxby's.
  • cyndi101
    Options
    Read alot...stay in here to get motivation and buy a few magazines about healthy life styles...You cannot believe how much reading about good nutrition and fitness will Motivate you in the Right direction...magazines like Weight Watchers and Self. They are full of good tips, success stories and, alot of times, recipes. It can actually make you want to stay on track.....Plus, as I said, Stay in here with us....This is only like my first wk but so far, I have found lots of good friends and Tons of motivational strategies...:flowerforyou: Add me as a friend....I need all the Support and Motivation I can get....Not to mention an occasional kick in the a** for thinking about Cokes...
  • pcmoore
    pcmoore Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been a fast food junkie for YEARS. The put stuff in that crap to make us keep coming back for it! I am not a "cold turkey" kind of person but some HAVE to do it that way. I used to eat out most everyday but have started eating at home more. I am not a cook by any means so I am finding things that are easy and quick for me to do and taking small steps. At Zaxby's, if you have to go, if you usually get the chicken finger meal try the house salad and don't eat the whole thing...I get 2 meals out of one and still throw part of it out. My kids LOVE mc'd's so if I take them there I eat a sandwich without the bun ( I usually allow myself one bite bun and all then just meat)....the more I do at home the easier I am finding it. The more you log your meals here they more you'll learn and in my case it's made me want to try harder to reach the goals set...I want to stay in the green but that does not always happen! Good luck to you and you can do it...you just have to fight that urge.....I gave up coke and that is something I NEVER thought I could do.....I have one on Jan 5th and have not had one since....if I can do that, you can pass by zaxby's! You'll get there.....just have to make some hard choices. Good luck!
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You know you could try this....if they know you so well in Zaxbys that they actually know your order ask them to refuse you service for 10 days. Explain to the manager that you have a serious addiction to Zaxbys that it is threatening your health explain the diabetes and how you cant live without it and that your consumption of their product is abnormal and you need their help to get it into a manageable one. Tell them it would be terrible if you fell seriously ill because you couldnt get your addiction to Zaxbys under control. Sounds ridiculous I know but gamblers and drinkers can do this I cant see why someone with an addiction to food is any different.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing you can do is to start cooking for yourself. Don't go out to restaurants, don't get fast food or take out. When you're grocery shopping don't get junk food or soda, only healthy foods. It can be difficult at first but once you've adjusted you'll find you enjoy drinking water and eating vegetables and that the junk you used to eat no longer tastes good.

You have to be strong for yourself. If your health is important to you, you just have to suck it up and make the changes. Support from others is great, but you can't rely on other people, this change has to come from within.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Hey all,

My name is Melissa. I'm new here. I am a type 1 diabetic for 15 yeras now. Recently had a "bad report" from my endocrinologist wants to put me on an ACE inhibitor because I have small amounts of protein in my urine. My cholesterol is on the higher end of normal. I'm 5 9 and 218. I've always been an average size girl, not big until now. I need help. I cannot stop eating Zaxby's and such. They know my order by heart!! But it's soo good! What can I do to help me stop and get back healthy? I want to live a long healthy life free of dialysis.
    It may sound blunt, but I see you are a nurse working with diabetics, so you would know all the (really) bad stuff that can happen, and that is not motivation.

Try keeping a picture of a diabetic leg ulcer or similar diabetic problem in your purse with your money. That could remind you of what you are letting yourself in for. Unfortunately the only person that can stop you going to Zaxby's is you, knowing that every time you eat there (or similar) you are playing Russian roulette with your life. It will be like any addiction, it will take a couple of weeks of real will power.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Just look at what fast food has done to us Americans! Now - that's not my excuse because I never caught the craze - but so many have and they have gotten richer and made us fatter. The food does not even decompose! Yikes! What's in it? You just need to stay away and learn some yummy recipes to cook at home. Don't deprive yourself of delicious food - just fresh and healthy food. There are recipes here and on many sites. Once you get the hang of it you will not even want Zaxby's,

I had to look them up - the house salad with no chicken OR dressing was 415 calories - YIKES!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    would not encourage further interaction with the restaurant in question, you have too much going on there already ;)

cravings, proteinuria, pregnant? sure your doc has it under control but thought i'd ask the question...stream of consciousness

anyway, what to do about said addiction...hm...is it the salty? the squishy? the oily? What is the exact flavor and consistency that you so adore? What feeling do you associate with it? What memory does the scent or feel or taste remind you of? Address the emotional component and free yourself of the compulsive eating of these foods. I think these foods we eat are part of an elaborate fallacy our brain concocts with chemicals and pathways in order to repress our needs and fill our psyche with fake replications of the sentiments we crave. The trouble is that the foods we eat that are part of this web actually have another component, these same chemicals also contain components that clog our arteries and bring about our early demise.
  • nilisabel
    Options
    perhaps you might consider volunteering one day a week in a dialysis clinic? Having spent time with chronic patients, I do feel stronger in my resolve to better my situation.
  • nilisabel
    Options
    wow, i see you already do that. okay. reading some posts, i just had to say, you know, nurses suffer the same as we all do. we non-nurses see obesity everyday, but obviously guilt never works. true change only comes from love. fear can inspire momentary change of course but lasting change only comes from love. so make a list of things you love about your life and things that you love to do or would love to do for sure, but can't because of your weight and weight-related issues. Then strive! do those things you love!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Ok, since I joined MFP I've been a calorie counting nazi and omg, their SALAD is over 600 cals!

http://www.zaxbys.com/menu_nutrition/nutritional_infoview.aspx

The one thing I could try to say to you in addition to what everyone else said, is try to prepare ALL your meals from home....ie, low cal sandwiches, snacks, fruits, veg, drinks for work and after work have a low cal crockpot going all day long so that you'll have food immed. Change your food locations.