muscle cramps- help!

samrockrocks
samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Every time I exercise, I get a cramp in my right hip! I usually just work through it, but it kills!! Does anyone know how to stretch out that muscle or help with the cramping?? It's never my calves or any other muscle, only my right hip! Thanks :)

Replies

• I have the same problem. I was aways told I needed more water
  • potassium pills ...or eat more bananas ..and yes lots of water ..those are awful, i know i used to get them so bad they would incapacitate me to the point of passing out ..good luck ...~
  • I eat a banana before I work out, it really does make a difference atleast for me.
  • Deficiency in calcium will also cause muscle cramping so be sure that you are getting enough as well.
  • I have heard that a sodium deficiency can also cause cramping during exercise... if you are getting enough sodium, I would go with.... Lack of calcium or potassium possibly?

Another thing to try, make sure to NOT run on a full stomach, stretch well, AND because of the jarring the running causes on the core (imagine your organs smashing into your diaphragm :-/) it may help to strengthen the core with core exercises(ei, planks, crunches, boat pose, bicycles, scissors, ball crunches, side bends) As well as low back strengthening.... supermans, back extensions, dead lift, bent over rows....

I used to have the same problem and it rarely happens anymore but I make sure all of these, or some of these things, are regular focuses of mine. :-D Hope this helps.
  • samrockrocks
    thanks everyone! i actually don't run or do anything high impact because i have a bum ankle. i like to do leslie sansone's walk at home dvd because it's a great workout, without messing with my ankle. even walking quickly cramps up my hip! i'll have to try your suggestions, though
  • yaklek
    yaklek Posts: 3 Member
    As an LMT for 7 years now,( i think i qualify to give this tip) STRETCH! you need a partner but if you dont try thisput your leg up against the wall at a right angle, ( you laying on the flore) the other leg laying flat on th flore as well so you really look like an upsicde down T then do a sit up, tough I know,, the alturnitive is much easer .... lay flat on a bench and raise your leg up then your partner holds it in place ( at the angle that is comefortable for you) then you push against that person HARD! as they push back for a count of 10 when reaching the number 10 YOU release and the partner pushes the leg up to a LIMIT OF COMEFORT! this is in caps becasue it is inportant.. do NOT HURT YOURSELF just stretch. do it 3 times then swich leggs and do the same counting to 10 stretch and do it 3 times .. it is inportant to make sure that you keep your opposit leg and buttocks on the bench and not lift them up. ONCE AGAIN This is a stretch and should not be used to hurt or harm any person, or part of the body.
    Drinking your water is inportant as well! Stretching is like wrining your muscles out after a good work out. you need to do it.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Ever been to a physical therapist? You could be overcompensating for the bum ankle by walking a little funny or turning your leg a bit. I know that when I dislocated my left patella and strained my knee that I overcompensated and caused sciatica on my right side. A physical therapist showed me how to walk properly to avoid aggravating either problem. She also showed me some exercises to stretch the cramping muscles.

Good Luck!
  • samrockrocks
    i went to a PT for a month and he told me i would always have a problem with my ankle because something shifts out of place and they can't fix it?! but before i went i was overcompensating and my hip was much worse. now it only cramps up when i exercise!
This discussion has been closed.