Scared of my scale

I joined about two weeks ago and have loved reading all the encouragement and adding my little penny's worth of thoughts. But I have hit a REAL slump. Slept for 5 hours today I'm getting so frustrated and down. Not like me lately. I had my gallbladder out last September and since then have had back-up problems severely and had a colonoscope done on Monday. Do you know I weighed 3 lb MORE after the clean out than I did before. How is this possible? Nothing found to cause my problem, but problem still exists nonetheless. I have changed my whole lifestyle (joined a gym, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, a lot less junk, no diet sodas, etc., etc., etc). Now, I'm scared to death of my scale because it is steadily increasing. Nope, not budging down even a little. My clothes from last summer don't fit because I've gained 10 lb. The weight gain isn't the biggest problem. It's the fact that I can't STOP gaining weight. I mean, if I stopped here, I'd still be a healthy weight. But not fitting in my clothes and not having money for new clothes, I'm started to get really depressed. I don't know what to do. HELP!!!!

Replies

• iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    I joined about two weeks ago and have loved reading all the encouragement and adding my little penny's worth of thoughts. But I have hit a REAL slump. Slept for 5 hours today I'm getting so frustrated and down. Not like me lately. I had my gallbladder out last September and since then have had back-up problems severely and had a colonoscope done on Monday. Do you know I weighed 3 lb MORE after the clean out than I did before. How is this possible? Nothing found to cause my problem, but problem still exists nonetheless. I have changed my whole lifestyle (joined a gym, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, a lot less junk, no diet sodas, etc., etc., etc). Now, I'm scared to death of my scale because it is steadily increasing. Nope, not budging down even a little. My clothes from last summer don't fit because I've gained 10 lb. The weight gain isn't the biggest problem. It's the fact that I can't STOP gaining weight. I mean, if I stopped here, I'd still be a healthy weight. But not fitting in my clothes and not having money for new clothes, I'm started to get really depressed. I don't know what to do. HELP!!!!
  • Oh you poor dear! I am so sorry! I don't have a whole ton of advice or anything for you but I do understand to an extent. My scale won't budge, and usually I can gain and loose the same ten pounds in one week due to hormonal problems. No matter what I do I don't loose, and I know how discouraging it is to see that silly scale giving you the exact opposite of what you want. I'll say a prayer they can figure out what is up with your system! Mine is still a medical mystery! :flowerforyou:
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    I went through something similar recently. (not the surgeries, just the weird weight gain). The conclusions I came to for myself were:

1. not enough water
    2. not enough calories - big one
    3. not enough exercise.

Sound simple enough, but before, if I decided to lose weight, I would just cut out junk food and cut calories way down and voila! But this time was different. That is why I joined MFP. I started doing MULTIPLE types of exercise. Some days I do yoga, some days I walk, some days I run, some days I do an elliptical machine - but the point is I exercise EVERY SINGLE DAY. I was also under the assumption that if I ate less, I would lose. I figured out that as soon as I dropped below my 1200 calories/day I immediately stopped losing and it took me weeks to start losing again after I brought my intake back up. I know how frustrated you are - I've been there. Don't stop weighing yourself, I did that and it just got worse and worse. Force yourself to get on once or twice a week and be honest with yourself. Even though i was eating low calories, it wasn't healthy stuff. Keep trying, it will stop and you will lose, you just have to change your mindset - this is SO HARD.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I'm so sorry....my husband had his out for almost 10 years but his problem is that he can't eat really fatty foods, it goes right through him . Are you drinking enough? got enough fiber in your diet? too much salt or potassium in your food?if all that is ok maybe you could ask your doctor to do a thyroid test? I'm no doctor so what I'm telling you is just from what I have learned so far... Did you read the post from Banks about eating 700 cal. a day and being overweight?
    I hope I helped a little:flowerforyou: don't despair... you'll get to the root of it soon:drinker:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    I eat my calories, exercise 5/7 days a weeks, and water is ALL i drink, and I'm drinking 12 glasses a day. I really appreciate all your advice and concern and letting me vent. I think I'm going to put the scale away for a week and not worry about it for now and see if I can delightfully surprise myself.