Exercise Calories, Please help!

Options
Today, I burned 835 calories during a 2 1/2 hour workout at the gym, and after all the food I ate, I have 778 remaining calories. Should I try eating even if I'm not hungry? I keep hearing different things but I want to make sure I'm not gonna drop my body into "starvation mode". Not every day is like this, usually once-twice a week. Other days i'm right on or a little over. But 778 calories is a lot. So any advice would help out greatly!!!

Totals 1,537 137 51 130
Your Daily Goal 2,315 319 76 87
Remaining 778 182 25 -43
Calories Carbs Fat Protein
*You've earned 835 extra calories from exercise today

Replies

• borgi77
    borgi77 Posts: 61
    Options
    I think that is okay, I do not eat my exercise calories back during the week as when I am work I find don't have as much time to eat hehe, but during the weekend I eat most of them back. Some days I have 800-1200 left over I make sure I eat at least 1200 calories which is recommended on here. I do not think you should eat if your not hungry just for the sack of eating. :-) sounds like you did a good work out the gym so well done!!!
  • amysambora
    Options
    You won't go into starvation mode overnight. You'd need a much larger calorie deficit over a much longer period of time.

Go by how you feel. If you've eaten 1537 calories today, that's a good amount. If you had only eaten 1200 or so then I'd be saying EAT, GIRL, EAT! Lol. If you are hungry, then go for it, but don't force yourself if you're not.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm going to offer a different opinion. MFP gives you a calorie deficit already. When you burn more calories, you are at a greater deficit. MFP gives you a safe calorie level, and cutting back any more is not healthy. Food is fuel and important. The trick is to eat less than you need, while making your body think there is an abundance of food available. Cut back too much, and your body goes into conservation mode. The rule of thumb I've heard most often is to eat at least half of your workout calories. Since I started MFP in Nov, I have made sure I end every day with no more than 100 kcals left, even if it means I am eating at the end of the day when I'm not hungry. It has worked very well for me thus far.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    'Starvation mode' is not going to happen in one day. You may just find you are hungrier tomorrow. You may not notice any difference. The odd occasion is not going to hurt in the slightest
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i am REALLY glad you have asked this ive been going to ask for a little while now!!!

i am the same as you for instance i have around 1600/1800 cals a day and exersice like a mad woman and some days have more than i started with left over!!!!
    the thing is i have lost NO weight in 4 weeks now and getting REALLY bummed off... :(
  • elpete
    elpete Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes eat them or at least half of them. I was at a weight loss stand still before coming here to count calories. I do a lot of running and other cardio. I hadn't lost weight in over 4 months. After coming here and starting to count calories, I saw that I was at a pretty big calorie defecit. I started counting calories and eating more at the beginning of the month and I've already lost 6 pounds. My exercise time has stayed constand but I've actually been eating more. I have cut out diet drinks as well so it may be one or the other or a combination of both. YMMV.