How long are you up ?

Options
This may sound a little silly but does how long your up for alter how many calories you should be consuming ?.

My average work day starts with me getting up at 02:15 and not going to bed until around 21:30 that night then rising again the next day at 02:15. This means I'm up and about for around 19hrs a day. Obviously we burn more calories when were awake and generally moving around. Most people probably spend around 16 hrs awake each day with an avg 8hrs sleep.

Do I need to take this into account when calculating calories?

Just a thought......

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I was thinking this because I had a migraine last night and went to bed early and was up late this morning with a sort of migraine hangover.
    Hence I'm about 350 calories light on food due to having berakfast at lunchtime.
    I was wondering if I need to ignore them and treat the day like I had eaten them and so go under 350.

I hope this makes sense.

it's the opposite of your question.

No answer but well, another question?

Thanks
    Good Luck!
    A
  • m0xiecat
    Options
    @T0M0 I know when I was working night shift I was told not to increase my calories but to make sure they are just spread out a little bit more, since sometimes I'd be up 24hr straight. If you do feel the need to increase your calories just add in a piece of fruit and maybe a handful of nuts or something light.

@Miss Tom I think, if this is a rare occurrence, it should not make a difference either way as long as you aren't cramming calories in right before bed to meet your target.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :O)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it makes that much difference. Usually increased awake time also includes more munching, so it all works out. Not to mention that lack of sleep and chronic fatigue increase stress hormones and can actually contribute to weight gain.