exercise weight gain

Options
Hello everyone!
Everytime I start working out I gain! SOme have told me I need to eat more protein but it doesn't make sense to me to eat if I am not hingry.What do you think? Can you gain from not eating enough? (Does metabolism go into starvation mode?) Why does exercise make me gain?

Replies

• Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It could be many factors, diet, calories consumes, what exercises you are doing, how long you are doing them for? I your protein intake is low you can always supplement it with protein shakes or bars if you don't feel like an actual meal/snack.

I have found when I exercise too much my weight loss slows, I have put mine down to not eating enough calories, sometimes net below 1000 a day if I exercise too much. When I upped my calories a little and reduced the exercise I started losing more. Make sure you are netting at least 1200 a day and are hitting the top end of your protein (even going over a bit) on your exercise days.

Just try different things until you find something that works.

Ben.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. You'll find you start losing inches, but not pounds, then after while it catches up.

No matter what, exercise isn't wasted. It should be part of a healthy lifestyle, not just to lose weight, so no matter what you're doing something fabulous for your body, your heart, and your health. Just remember that, and it will all work out in the end.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You may eat more without realising. Do you measure or wigh your food?

And yes, training needs to be supported by appropriate calorie intake, and at least 50% of your calories burned through training should be re-eaten... not by any old rubbish of course but lean protein etc.

Personally I do better with fewer carbs and more lean meat. Basically I only very rarely eat pasta, rice, bread or white potatos, but I eat a lot of lean meat (chicken, fish) and vegetables.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I found out through a Wellness counselor that when you exercise your muscles get "thirsty" and tend to retain a LOT of water to compensate (you can tell by how much pain your in apparently). I was told to drink a ton of water to make up for it and that eventually, after I get used to exercising regularly and my muscles don't hurt as much, the water retention won't be as bad.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One thing I've heard on here that I never knew before is that sore muscles from exercising retain fluid for a while. If you're working yourself really hard, without taking a every few days, that might be part of the issue.