Jogging and Thirst and 5k Runs

LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I've never been a jogger or runner of any kind, and now that I've started C25K, I love it. But I have one concern. Thirst. It's one thing when I'm on the treadmill and have my drink right next to me when I get parched, and the longest I've jogged straight so far is only 20 minutes, but what do you do during a race? Just power through it? Have a sippy cup? Sometimes my throat get so dry feeling, it hurts to swallow. Is that normal? It's not an asthmatic feeling... I know what that's like, and it's not a tightness in my chest, just in my throat. Maybe I'm breathing wrong?

Replies

• fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    If it's a well prepared race, there is a water/aid station, usually at the halfway point.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Its a great question. I tried taking water with me but its really not comfortable to run and hold a bottle. Not comfortable having a bag on my back either.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    this probably a overkill but a friend who does alot of off trail jogging/hiking invested in one of these, he loves it.
    http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs.aspx
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    I've always had that problem when trying to run outside.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    If it's a well prepared race, there is a water/aid station, usually at the halfway point.

I know the Warrior Dash has that, thankfully. I'm not sure if the Red Cross run I'm doing in March will. If so... I'm golden. I know I can get to the halfway point before I need a sip of something! :smile:
  • bhmathews
    bhmathews Posts: 43 Member
    Like you, I drink a lot of water when I run. I get really thirsty, and I sweat A LOT. Drinking helps me keep at it, increasing my comfort so that I can go longer or faster. When I run outside, I occasionally carry a water bottle with me, but it is uncomfortable to do so. I know there are belts you can purchase that hold water bottles on your hips or back. I am training for a half and you can bet I will be investing in one of these. There are usually water stations at 10k and longer races, but I have yet to run in a 5k that had a water station. I believe it that some do, it's just not in my experience.

Hope that helps!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    this probably a overkill but a friend who does alot of off trail jogging/hiking invested in one of these, he loves it.
    http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs.aspx

I plan on getting a CamelBak! The smallest womens ones are really lightweight, I tried one in the store. I think the slight awkwardness of wearing it will be better than the extreme discomfort of thirst. I go through 1-2 Poland Spring sport bottles on the treadmill, I need water to keep me going. I don't know if I'd wear it during a race if there were hydration stations, but definitely out on my regular runs.
This discussion has been closed.