What do you do when you're sick?

I am starting to feel really depressed. I started having a little annoying cough on Thursday evening, it was just occasional, with a mild sore throat, no big deal. I was still able to work out on thursday and again on Saturday.

Sunday, I felt a bit worse, but decided to run anyway.. just not go quite as far. I felt fine during the run, but only went about 30 minutes.

Monday, Tues, and Wed I didn't work out at all. cough cough cough cough cough cough cough.

Last night I couldnt' sleep from about 11 until at least 2am .. cough cough cough cough. finally fell asleep. Today I feel run down and unmotivated.

I want to run! I want to exercise! But, with bronchitis, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I don't have a fever, but...

how much longer can this continue? I was doing soooo good. Had lost about 4 lbs in 2 weeks. I'm not really gaining while I'm sick.. well. maybe I"ve gained 1/2 lb. But...

it is so frustrating to have this setback just when I was really getting into LIKING to run. And seeing REAL RESULTS.

How do you all cope when you're sick? is it safe to just push past it and exercise anyway since I don't have a fever?

I called my doc and got some codeine cough syrup, so at least I'll get a decent night's sleep tonight.

help!

Replies

• LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    I am starting to feel really depressed. I started having a little annoying cough on Thursday evening, it was just occasional, with a mild sore throat, no big deal. I was still able to work out on thursday and again on Saturday.

Sunday, I felt a bit worse, but decided to run anyway.. just not go quite as far. I felt fine during the run, but only went about 30 minutes.

Monday, Tues, and Wed I didn't work out at all. cough cough cough cough cough cough cough.

Last night I couldnt' sleep from about 11 until at least 2am .. cough cough cough cough. finally fell asleep. Today I feel run down and unmotivated.

I want to run! I want to exercise! But, with bronchitis, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I don't have a fever, but...

how much longer can this continue? I was doing soooo good. Had lost about 4 lbs in 2 weeks. I'm not really gaining while I'm sick.. well. maybe I"ve gained 1/2 lb. But...

it is so frustrating to have this setback just when I was really getting into LIKING to run. And seeing REAL RESULTS.

How do you all cope when you're sick? is it safe to just push past it and exercise anyway since I don't have a fever?

I called my doc and got some codeine cough syrup, so at least I'll get a decent night's sleep tonight.

help!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    How about some chicken noodle soup (maybe the reduced fat and sodium kind) no milk products till your cough is gone ( helps with reducing the phlem(spelling)) if your throat is still sore from coughin, hot water with real lemmon juice and honey....
    On the exercise, if your feeling like your drained, lethargic and youre hurting I would wait till I'm feeling better ( coughing can feel like a work out all by itselfe) if not, go for it but take it a little easier, especially if it's hot where you are. I wish you Gute Besserung ( to get better) :flowerforyou:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    If it's the miserable, don't-want-to-get-out-of-bed sick, I would just take it easy. If it's just kinda coughing and sniffling, maybe just go walking instead of running. I wouldn't push it, but that's me.

Feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Your fitness goals will B there when U R better. Relax and get better. U will B back quicker.

Take care LP.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Nothing... This is normal and you need rest.
    I do not know how much of a newbee you are but this happens to a LOT of people when they start eating right and excersizing.
    Our bodies are amazing things. but there are times when they can only do so much at one time.
    IE If you have been eating ick food for so long your body is used to it. Now lets say that you stop eating all ick foods and start eating freasf fruit and veggies. Your body is going to react like a 5 year old at first. EWWWW ICK FRUIT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME?! and it will start to flush things out of you. the things that it flushes out however are toxins, and THIS is a GOOD THING. Lets add to that at the same time you are now working out. You are swaeting on porpose and this means that you are again releasing toxins, but NOW you are also growing muscle...However. because you body is busy releasing toxins, and growing muscle it forgets to heal you. a lot of poeple note that the first month or two that they come down with a cold or flu. Even if it is the middle of summer.
    --Diann...
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    i tried to continue when i was ill and wasnt gettin better for over 3 weeks
    so i decided to eat normally and got plenty of rest and began to recover so i wd take it easy if i were u
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Ok, I'll rest again today, and play it by ear the rest of the weekend.