The spot Fat removal Myth

louie377
louie377 Posts: 30 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
What exercise gets rid of love-handles? What exercise gets rid of man-boobs?

Of all the bad bodybuilding myths, this is the one I hate the most because unscrupulous skamsters use this myth to convince uninformed people to spend millions of dollars on their useless machines. Just turn on the TV late at night and you are sure to hear ridiculous claims like "targets fat in the troublesome love handle region".

So how can you get rid of the unwanted fat on your stomach, hips, thighs, or chest? Cardio and Nutrition!
The body decides how it will distribute the fat over your body, all you can do to get rid of love-handles or man-boobs is to reduce your total body fat by doing more aerobic exercise and by eating less.

It is not possible to do spot-removal of fat despite the million dollar industry which tries to sell a gullible public one "love-handle remover" after another!

The myth that you can remove fat in focused areas by doing special exercises is not new

The vibrating belts of the '50s were promoted for fat removal around the mid-section. Its just not possible to focus fat removal on a particular area, surgery is the only way to do spot-removal of fat deposits. There are some drugs (like AZT) that cause the body to redistribute fat and focus it in the mid section but as far as I know, nobody has been able to do this in a desirable fashion.

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Great Post!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    And there's a good chance that the belly pooch will be the last to go! Everybody stores fat differently and burns fat differently. I've lost fat everywhere except my belly -it's been there the longest and will probably be the last to go. Even my love handles are smaller!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    I get frustrated by the abuse of the public daily, and our recurrent acceptance of such treatment. seriously, what is with the diet pills, non-sustainable weight loss regimens, 30-day and 90-day this/that, all of which come to an end leaving people without recourse only to regain the pounds having learned nothing about themselves. Very frustrating. how do these propagators of ignorance sleep at night? I know my words are a tad dramatic but come on, right? We are the only species with any self-awareness (to my knowledge) and we just shut our eyes to this gift. Every single person has the ability to care for and learn from another, and this is what we do? I was really lucky because in my family I have history of a person coming up from nothing so I know the caliber of a single person, it's so sad to see such talent that each of us has abused in such a way.
  • bromk
    bromk Posts: 34
    Each day I begin with this statement: I didn't get to the this point in 30 or 90 days; I'm not going to get to where I want to be in that time either.

If losing weight and being fit was as easy as the industry makes it sound, there wouldn't be a need for them because we would all be thin and perfect. Anything worth having is worth the hard work and dedication it takes to get there.
  • mehapp
    mehapp Posts: 132
    So how can you get rid of the unwanted fat on your stomach, hips, thighs, or chest? Cardio and Nutrition!
    The body decides how it will distribute the fat over your body, all you can do to get rid of love-handles or man-boobs is to reduce your total body fat by doing more aerobic exercise and by eating less.

Well said!

The only thing that I could possibly add is that hormones do affect fat loss. We hear a lot about "phytoestrogens" in the news. These 'false estrogens' are found in foods like soy, soy protein, soy milks, tofu, and others. Some research indicates that overconsumption of these kinds of foods may make it harder to lose fatty tissues in the breasts.
This discussion has been closed.