filling snacks that could beat Starbucks...

Options
I manage a Starbucks store so you can imagine the temptations I face every single day. It's amazing how many calories go down the drain in just a little latte! :frown: I'm usually there all day and don't have a regular eating schedule so it's hard for me to plan meals. Any ideas on quick snacks I could take to work with me? I'm awful at grabbing stuff while I run out the door too...so foods I could keep at the store would be good!

BTW- today was the first day I DIDN'T eat something from the store... I guess that's a start.

Replies

• cguhlke
    Options
    I manage a Starbucks store so you can imagine the temptations I face every single day. It's amazing how many calories go down the drain in just a little latte! :frown: I'm usually there all day and don't have a regular eating schedule so it's hard for me to plan meals. Any ideas on quick snacks I could take to work with me? I'm awful at grabbing stuff while I run out the door too...so foods I could keep at the store would be good!

BTW- today was the first day I DIDN'T eat something from the store... I guess that's a start.
  • dlbrock31
    dlbrock31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like to take along those little 100 calorie packs of snacks that are out now - pretzels, ritz crackers, even cookies. South Beach Diet also makes some tasty 100 and 140 calorie snack and breakfast bars. When I'm on the go, I throw a couple of those types of snacks into my bag to eat when a craving strikes rather than grabbing something on the fly.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I just tried those Quaker mini delights the cinnamon streusel kind. And they are good and pretty filling. With only 90 calories you can't beat it. If you want something for your sweet tooth try those. They also sell those pre packaged fruit like grapes and apples they are good for on the go.

Good Luck:happy:
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like to drink Target brand slimfast shakes for a quick meal- only 170 calories and they keep you full for at least a couple hours. There's also plenty of snack items like Yo plus yogurt, granola, almonds. I usually just walk down the snack isle and read labels to see what healthy snacks there are. Plus the more small, healthy snacks you have throughout the day the easier it is to keep your metabolism revved up.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I'll give you similar advice to the advice I gave lauralu cguhlke.

Carve out a couple of hours once or twice a week, prepare "finger" foods, and store them in your fridge.
    I work in IT in a big company that has the dreaded vending machines. So I have to prepare and bring my own food every day.

Since we have a fridge at my work I have lots of options for bringing my meals, but if you don't here are some of the things I prepare just for my mid morning and afternoon snacks to keep me away from grabbing stuff.

I usually broil up some chicken and cut it into small chunks for munching, cooked chicken lasts 4 -6 days in a fridge, you can bring some sauce packets (like duck sauce) if there isn't enough flavor.
    I have a 1 serving package of Pemmican Beef Jerky 2 times a week, lots of protein, and a lot better for you then the chips and other processed flower snacks. Carrots, lots of carrots, apples, I have like 6 to 10 a week. Bananas, many many bananas. Grapes are great for a quick snack. Whole wheat pretzel twists (like rolled gold), put 16 of them in a baggie and it's a great filling snack, 16 is 2 servings (about 220 cal), which is a little high, but I usually split that up over the day.

If you have snacks handy that you can substitute for the bad stuff, your will power will go WAY up.

good luck.
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    There are lots of 100 calorie snack packs out there right now, plus 90 cal granola bars, mini chocolate bars, 90 cal Special-K snack bars (I love the chocolate drizzle one). Strawberries and raspberries have minimal calories (apples and bananas are higher, but are good for you, so if you work them in to your calories for the day, they are a great snack). Cut up raw green peppers, broccoli, and celery are also minimal calories. Sugarless gum is a great way to ward off a craving. I discovered Laughing Cow soft cheese spread.....one wedge is 35 calories, and you can spread it in a stalk of celery (5 cals) and have a satisfying snack for only 40 cals!!

I have found that with the 1200 calorie restriction I have, snacking has become MUCH less common for me. I miss the goodies, but I DON'T miss the 13 pounds I've lost in 6 wks!
  • cguhlke
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • baday
    baday Posts: 35
    Options
    fruits and veggies are always good...gotta get that fiber to keep you fool too! Plus I bet you can eat tons of them all day, and still not eat enough to equal a few cookies or brownies from your job.

There is also sugar free jello, which has 10 cals, and sugar free jello pudding with 60 cals. Dannon also has some great yogurts that have 60 cals also. Something I like to do is get a bowl of mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries and strawberries for example) and mix them with the yogurt. You can fill up with less than 120 cals or so (yogurt plus 1/2 lbs of berries).

ummm..last though, weight watchers has those small cakes that are like 90 cals, that give you just a taste of dessert. could always try those as well. I would recommend mixing the snacks... some fruits and veggies with the cake at the end as a treat.

You can snack on these things all day and end up weighing less by the end of the night, then when you woke up :)

Hope it helps!
  • baday
    Options
    if you like peppers (no one else I know seems to like them, other than myself) I suggest you get the Master's Touch Mini-Vine Sweet Peppers
  • cguhlke
    Options
    I looooooove peppers! The little multi-colored mini ones! Yum!
  • baday
    Options
    I eat tons of those peppers, and they are super low in calories. One warning, I found a worm in one of my peppers yesterday :embarassed:

Better than half a worm right? Well to be fair, its actually a catepillar of some sort, and I found it chomping on the seeds in my pepper (I bit just the tip and saw it in their all the way in the back). Anyhow, I didn't see the point in killing it, so I put it in a little plastic case with its pepper (he was there first) and want to see what it will become. :happy:
  • ambieloo2
    Options
    Wow dmflynt,
    13 lbs in 6 weeks! I want to be like you! Good job. :happy:

Cheers,
    Amber