How to get accurate calorie count with exercise?

Options
Hello, newbie here! I'm hoping someone can help me on how to make sure the calories burned with exercise is accurate. It seems to run high, which I hate to change LOL. But I just did 30 min on the bike at an average 14-16 mph and it said I burned 330 calories? That seems really high. The machine said something like 150...but not sure if that is accurate either because I dont keep my hands on the pulse monitoring...does that make a difference? You can tell I'm kind of clueless! I also need help with the walking...like walking briskly for 30 min with some uphill...how do I calculate that? I dont have a heart monitor thing....

Any ideas welcome! Thanks!

Replies

• caseykm
    caseykm Posts: 37
    Options
    I've found that too...or if I work out really hard on the eliptical my cal count on the machine is much higher than the one on MFP, which one is more accurate?
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I would highly recommend getting a heart rate monitor with chest strap. You don't have to spend tons of money (I have a polar that I got for around 100) but it is well worth the investment. The machines where I workout are compatible with polar hrms but my calorie counts are still not accurate on the machines so I go by what my watch says which is normally lower.