Net intake question.

Options
I was just wondering, am I supposed to go by my net intake (on my front page) or by my food diary to ensure I eat enough?

I am up to 1370calories in my diary but my net is only 858 due to exercise. Does this mean I need to eat more?

Replies

• audreyyrose
    Options
    you should eat at least half of the calories you exercised off.
    ideally you should eat all of them :]
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Always eat back your calories from exercise.
  • xrockinrobyn
    xrockinrobyn Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Need to find something to eat now though, could've gotten away with a bigger dinner!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    There are lots and lots of threads on this. And lots and lots of opinions. If you do a search for net calories or exercise calories or read the topics locked into place at the top of the section, you'll find tons to read about on the topic.

Generally - yes.

Why? Because MFP has already calculated your daily deficit and it's reflected in your net, so you should be netting as close to that number as possible.

Exceptions? If you aren't using an HRM for carcio or doing exercising that it's hard to get a 100% accurate reading on how many calories you are actually burning. So some folks prefer to leave a bit of a buffer of a few hundred of your exercise calories just in case the machines or MFP estimates are high.

Personal experience - I thought I was doing fine eating upwards of 1400-1500 calories a day on my exercise days until I did more research and then, when I went back to look realized that I was netting way below 1200 after my exercise calories. I had also been in a plateau state for over a month. This week I started eating back almost all of my exercise calories, just leaving that couple hundred calorie buffer sicne I use the machine readouts, and I registered my first week over week loss in over a month.
  • dolphinstar106
    Options
    I too am finding it dfficult. I started using MFP last year, when i was blessed with a wondrous iphone...

I feel that i have reach a plateau at this point. My weight regardless of activity and defecit seemingly hovers around 168 lb, +/- 1/3 lb.
    My goal weight is 154 lb, but im finding it hard to get there. Any tips?

In total my cal defecit per day is around 11 / 1200 cals or thereabouts, inclusive of about 500cals of cardio. this is about 5 days a week. Although im getting physically fitter, my weight isnt budging. Any reccomendations?
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I too am finding it dfficult. I started using MFP last year, when i was blessed with a wondrous iphone...

I feel that i have reach a plateau at this point. My weight regardless of activity and defecit seemingly hovers around 168 lb, +/- 1/3 lb.
    My goal weight is 154 lb, but im finding it hard to get there. Any tips?

In total my cal defecit per day is around 11 / 1200 cals or thereabouts, inclusive of about 500cals of cardio. this is about 5 days a week. Although im getting physically fitter, my weight isnt budging. Any reccomendations?

So are you saying your total calorie *intake* is 1100-1200 per day after subtracting exercise calories?
  • dolphinstar106
    Options
    no lol (sorry for confusion). Ill go with the basics.

My calorie limit (intake) per day is approx 1000 cals (it may float up to 1200 occasionaly). I dont really exceed this)

do roughly 500cals of cardio a day (give or take 150)

My BMR is about 1700 cals.
  • jessieinblue
    Options
    no lol (sorry for confusion). Ill go with the basics.

My calorie limit (intake) per day is approx 1000 cals (it may float up to 1200 occasionaly). I dont really exceed this)

do roughly 500cals of cardio a day (give or take 150)

My BMR is about 1700 cals.

Okay, got it. Yes, you definitely need to up your intake. You should eat enough to match your BMR, and then eat back at least half of your exercise calories.

Since you've been eating so little, such a drastic step might be too much, so maybe do it 200 calories at a time. But you should work toward matching your BMR. Don't eat less than 1200 calories per day AFTER subtracting exercise calories.
  • dolphinstar106
    Options
    really? wow. Ill feel guilty though... lol
  • dolphinstar106
    Options
    Although when i feel a pang of guilt i often look back at how i used to be. Since 2008 ive lost about 5 stones. Thats why i feel ive reached a plateau...

I just want to look good for summer. Ive never looked good lol.
  • jessieinblue
    Options
    really? wow. Ill feel guilty though... lol

Yup, I know exactly what you mean. But trust me, you will be healthier.

If you have some time, read this post for an excellent explanation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • jessieinblue
    Options
    Although when i feel a pang of guilt i often look back at how i used to be. Since 2008 ive lost about 5 stones. Thats why i feel ive reached a plateau...

I just want to look good for summer. Ive never looked good lol.

Five stone is a lot of weight, you should be really proud of yourself!!
  • dolphinstar106
    Options
    i live by "kaizen".

Enough = content. Content = complacent.

Evolution never occurs from the still..

I am kinda proud of it, but as i say wanna continue. It just gets harder...
  • dolphinstar106
    Options
    Just a quick question. Would my water intake the weight loss process? ie not drinking enough...
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    this confuses me so much! I've only eaten 290 calories today so far and its now dinner time so I'll probably eat another 4-500, but that's all I would eat for the day... that only totals 790 calories AND i just worked out and burned 500... so does that mean my caloric intake for today will only have been 290 when it's all said and done? I don't know what to do about this! it's 6pm and there's no way I can eat another 1200 calories before the day is over... HELP!