Walk/Run at home

Keekaj520
Keekaj520 Posts: 17
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I need your opinion -
I live in MA it is in the single digits. I can't walk outside because our sidewalks are still covered in snow and the cold air hurts my lungs.
The question I have is can I lose weight by running in place or walking in place at home?? I need something to do besides dvd's. I'm getting bored and I know walking/running really works. I don't want to buy anymore dvd's so do you think walking in place or running in place would work? And if so, how long should I do it for?

Thanks!
Jess :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    It will work. I have a walk at home dvd that you walk in place and then job the last two minutes of every mile. The dvd is 5 12 minute miles that equals to 5.0 mph and I burn about 560 and I am 5'8" and 157. Hope that helps!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Yep, it will work! Just look up "jog in place" on the exercise database- burns a lot of calories! You could also get an inexpensive step (I have ones that are about a foot square and don't take up much room) to step up and down on while you're watching TV, or an exercise bike that only has the pedal part, and you sit on a chair- also takes up only about a foot square. Good luck!
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    I used to live in a very large apartment that had a figure-8 shape to it, and I actually used to put on my gym clothes and jog in my apartment like it was a running track. I would find something decent to watch on TV and just jog in place when something interesting was happening. Then, when I got bored with that (or during commercials), I would run on my "track." I thought it was great.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    according to my Wii, I burn 197 calories running in place for 30 minutes (don't let me lie, sometimes I run circles around the couch)

Also, as the previous poster said, you can do the walk away the pounds videos. I know there is / was a 1 mile video on the WATP website to try for free.

Also, if you have Netflix (instant or inDemand) there are several work-out videos available if you just want to switch up your video routine some
  • la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    I love to watch TV and at night I would walk around the room with my pedometer on while watching my favourite show- sometimes a hour would go by before I knew it. If I was tired, I would take a break a commercials
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Yep, I do it all the time. Put on your ipod and jog around the house. I burn over 800 calories an hour doing this. Sometimes my daughters join me and chase after me!
  • Look for childhood toys that you like! I bought a jump rope for home and love it. 5 minutes here and there feel great. My mom has a big exercise hula hoop, fun alternatives to running in place.
  • Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    It will work. I have a walk at home dvd that you walk in place and then job the last two minutes of every mile. The dvd is 5 12 minute miles that equals to 5.0 mph and I burn about 560 and I am 5'8" and 157. Hope that helps!

I have that one too.......IT'S AWESOME........is your's Leslie Sansone's Walking Off the Pounds Fat Burning Walk?........I highly recommend it to somebody wanting to walk to lose weight!
  • suggestions that were made to me were:

weighted hula hoop and small trampoline :)
  • Thanks everyone!! :) My kids are in school, my daughter for 2 hours a day. So instead of going outside in the frigid air I'm going to run in place at home. WOO HOOO! I'm so glad other people have had luck with that.

:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.