How to overcome numbness in feet on Elliptical and Arc Stepp

zoomzoom9958
zoomzoom9958 Posts: 3
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello everyone,

I started working out in September of 2010. I was doing really good at the latter part of 2010 after building up a 5 time a week/60 minute cardio workout with some light weight routines.

However, I noticed fairly soon in my workouts that my feet would go numb after about 15 minutes on the elliptical. I expressed my dismay to one of the trainers and he advised me to start to change up my routine and instead of consistently go forward on the machine to start to change it up by going in reverse. I did that & it did help. I did not have the reverse option on the Arc stepper though.
Also I noticed certain shoe/sock combos would either make it worse or better.

In December it got to be such an annoying problem that I started breaking my workouts into 10 minute increments and taking a break to let my foot come back from the numbness.
I tried a new pair of Nike shoes and those actually made it worse.

So...I am asking for recommendations and advice from anyone who has gone through this on how to overcome this problem and be able to continue to workout. I was really seeing great results, but my frustration in dealing with the numbness got to be so annoying that I have stopped working out. My personal physician told me to quit using the machines and to do something else.
But I honestly saw amazing results with those two machine and I want to start working out again.

Is there a particular pair of shoes and or socks that I could purchase that would help?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Replies

• heyjude78
    heyjude78 Posts: 160
    Personally I experience the same thing. I will loosen my laces if it really bugs me, but lately I either go in reverse or I try and position my weight on the heels of my feet. Good luck with your fitness-please keep us updated. :smile:
  • ZHawk1123
    ZHawk1123 Posts: 215
    What kind of shoes do you wear?
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    i try to make sure my weight is on my heels rather then pushing forward, and sitting towards the back of the foothold, and yes go reverse as well... i have tried a few diff shoes all the same result.
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Personally I experience the same thing. I will loosen my laces if it really bugs me, but lately I either go in reverse or I try and position my weight on the heels of my feet. Good luck with your fitness-please keep us updated. :smile:

This was my first thought too... maybe the laces are tighter than really needed... I know my feet swell at times when I am working out.
  • I initially started out wearing Skechers. If I wore a certain pair of those with a thinner type ankle sock, it would not be as bad.
    On the days that I wore Dr. Scholl's blister prevention socks (which are very thick) it was horrible!!!
    So I kept trying different shoes/socks/workout routines.
    The Nike shoes I bought in December just did me in. My frustration was insane. I could not believe I was trying so hard to work out and I kept forcing myself to deal with the numbness. I got so disgusted on my last workout that I just mentally was done.
    There just has to be a better way to deal with this. I asked other members and they said they went through it too, but it eventually passed. But from September to December and still dealing with it? I mean how long is too long?

To me if exercise becomes a drudgery and causes you discomfort, it is not going to be an incentive to keep going you know?
  • Thanks for all the responses. I am trying so hard to stay encouraged and get back to working out because I have lost about 3 weeks already!! : (
  • Is an elliptical trainer the same as a cross trainer? Could you try it barefoot?
This discussion has been closed.