toning with dumbells

LosingTheInches
LosingTheInches Posts: 47
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I have these 5lb dumbells and was wondering if it would be possible to tone my arms with those? I will be researching some different exercises using them, but I dont want to waste my time. Any advice?

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    i use 5lb weights to do hammer curls and bicep curls with. I also use one with both hands and bend my elbows so that the weight goes up and down behind my head for my triceps. You could also do shoulder presses with them
  • i use 5lb weights to do hammer curls and bicep curls with. I also use one with both hands and bend my elbows so that the weight goes up and down behind my head for my triceps. You could also do shoulder presses with them

lol, i was looking at your picture, we have the same pyjamas i think :D
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    haha awesome! they were a xmas prezzie last yr :D massive on me now but still very comfy
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    This REALLY educated me on weight lifting and since I followed their stuff, my arms are slowly getting toned (but not big) and I am progressing to heavier weights.

If i can share this with every female to help them out, I would! LOL

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 581 Member
    I was thinking about ordering this DVD from Amazon: "Shaping Up With Weights for Dummies"
    According to the reviews it is definitely for people who haven't a clue about about using weights. And, once you got it, you'll put the DVD away. It sells for $15.00
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    That article has a very similar philosophy to the book that I am reading - new rules of lifting for women - the tag line is lift like a man, look like a goddess. The emphasis is very much on lift heavy weights for fewer reps in order to see results. Basically the only way to tone your muscles is to make them bigger and women are no danger of getting too bulky because of a lack of testosterone.

Personally I would say 5lb weights are too light for much use for bicep curls etc but for some exercises such as the overhead tricep curl they may be heavy enough for you. I use approx, (I work in kg) 15 pound dumbells for bicep curls which is challenging and is getting me results.

edited to add link http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295821509&sr=8-1 you can read a selection of pages from the book too.
This discussion has been closed.