Accounting for calories burned during strength training

Options
I noticed in logging my workout today that I didn't get 'credit' for calories burned during strength training. I painstakingly ligged all of my exercises, reps, sets, weight... But no calories calculated. I make a point to always do my weight trainibg post-cardio, so as to sustain the elevated pulse rate for the remainder of my workout.

Am I missing something? Suggestions? Ideas?

Replies

• PediNurse67
    PediNurse67 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    To get credit for strength training you have to log it under cardio. Make sure you keep track of how long your doing the training.
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I noticed that this evening too but haven't a clue why those calories aren't counted. I'd love to hear the replies to this post to see why :)
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you do weight training in a circuit (meaning a number of different exercises one after another and then starting again, with little rest in between exercises) you can log it under circuit training under cardio. Although there isn't an option for circuit weight training and from what I hear you burn more when you do circuits with weights.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    To get credit for strength training you have to log it under cardio. Make sure you keep track of how long your doing the training.

Hmmm, but I think that'll grossly overestimate calories burned. For instance, I burned 451 calories in my 34 min cardio session today, followed by 90 minutes of weight training (9 different exercises, most at 4 sets/10 reps per set).

If I used that same calories burn rare for my entire 2 hour workout, it would put me around 1800 calories burned... That's not possible, is it?

I wonder if I'll just need to wear my HRM for every workout, and add the calories burned as a misc cardio entry. Hmm...
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM.... And I log it as is. I sometimes sweat more doing weights than cardio! My HRM is accurate... I log it as weight training under the cardio section.
  • neebelung
    Options
    There have been numerous posts on this topic on the forums. I'm not an expert but basically when you do strength training and wear your HRM you are not getting an accurate calorie count. It is not a cardio activity but a muscle building activity. I usually take 1/2 to 2/3 of what my HRM says and log it. Others are much more knowledgeable and might chime in here or you could do a keyword search on the forums about calorie burn and strength training. In short-still do your strength training-increased muscle mass is healthy and will help you burn calories more efficiently, but don't use the calorie burn on your HRM as the final word-you are burning less that that.

Hmm, you make an interesting point. However, even though it's not cardio per se, the HRM calculates the calories based on weight and pulse rate (doesn't it?)

I hope some of the gurus chime in. This is perplexing me.
  • jaskelley
    jaskelley Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I track all my strength training on DailyBurn.com. They give an estimate of calories burned based on your weight, reps, and exertion. It's not exact, obviously, but it doesn't seem too high. I just throw that number in my log here.
  • neebelung
    Options
    Wendy & Jas - great, thank you, I'll check those both out!