Eating Healthy on a Budget

Options
2»

Replies

• LoViNlIFe0225
    Options
    On of my favorite is Couscous, chicken and spinach. I go to an Aldi store to get a huge bag of chicken breast for only 5 bucks, frozen spinach for about a buck and then I go to and Amish store for the couscous. My recommendation would be to find an Amish store or Dutch Bakery near you. Often times you can buy things in bulk for much cheaper than anywhere else. I buy couscous by the pounds for only 3 or 4 bucks, same with rice and a ton of other things! The best part is most of it is homemade and better for you with less preservatives. Good Luck!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    agreed!!!!! all lebanese, turkish and asiany grocery stores are my gold mine.
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to make big batches of things that you can then reheat for several days as either lunch or dinner.

You can make enough chilli for about 6 meals with this, and it's all really cheap:

2 medium onions
    1 clove of garlic
    olive oil
    2 level teaspoons chilli powder
    1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
    1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin (or crushed cumin seeds)
    sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    455gr/1 lb chuck steak, minced, or best minced beef
    2 heaped teaspoons tomato puree
    2 x 400gr/14oz tins of tomatoes
    1/2 stick of cinnamon
    2 x 400gr/14oz tins of red kidney beans, drained
    1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
    1 handful frozen peppers
  • holley71
    Options
    This sounds delicious. I will use this one. Thanks!
  • aks1985
    aks1985 Posts: 27
    Options
    yummmmmmm good idea without the noodles!
  • kosterlund
    Options
    I'm really keen on vegan food blogs for inspiration, although I am not actually vegan. Meat and cheese are expensive compared to vegetable, legume, and grain foods, and it is easier to watch fat & calories. My personal fave is at Fat Free Vegan Kitchen (just google). Healthy, wholesome, and made mostly from unprocessed (e.g. cheaper) sorts of things. And delicious!! She also includes detailed breakdowns of nutrition, which is handy. I'm on a tight budget, so I just skip the occasional recipes that use expensive items, but these are pretty rare.

Good luck!
  • shaheerahs
    shaheerahs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Cool Beans, thanks everybody for the great ideas and resources.