3rd Shift Night Mare

jedday
jedday Posts: 119
edited September 23 in Chit-Chat
HI I am Jon I work third shift and am struggling to get to the gym and am doing the at the desk nibbling all night. Any thoughts, idea or suggestions that could help. I work 12 and 1/4 hours each night from 6pm-615am. Looking for any helpful suggestions on a work our routine or will power boost. Thanks

To add on I work IT so I am kind of chained to the desk except for one time a night when I do, do the walk around. Diabetic so sweet snacks are out.

Replies

• lulu_beans
    lulu_beans Posts: 100 Member
    Where do you work? Do you work in a place where you can walk or get some mini exercises in during your shift? As far as nibbling, make sure you have healthy snacks to nibble, and it won't hit you so hard. I make little baggies of fruits and veggies, along with a sweet...but I try to keep my baggies under 150 calories.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Find cheap dvds you can do at home- my favs are walk away the pounds (sounds easy right) for cardio and kettlebell work outs~ both can be found at Walmart and Target. WATP are $10, KBs are less than $20 with the kettlebell, and yeah, they both work.
    WATP 3x 12 min miles (4x week or more) for cardio and KB 25 mins 3x week.
    check out the ticker ...:wink:
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    I do not work first shift either, but the job I do keeps me very active every hour...especially when it snows... :(
    My main thing was not realizing that I need to eat the exercise calories...I was putting my body in starvation mode. Knowing this now I see that I am able to "snack at the desk", so I make healthier choices.

Soooo...bring yogurt, granola bars, hot cereal mixes, ect...with you to work. It helps me. :happy:
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Are you a nurse? I am a nurse and those shifts sound familiar. :grumble:

You might look silly doing this, but you can always do laps up and down the hallway. (assuming that you have the type of job that allows you to get up from the desk) Also, remember to take the stairs when you can. Park at the very END of the parking lot so that you have to hoof it a long ways into the building. :tongue:

As for the frequent snacks----no answers for you there, as that is one of my biggest problems, too. Well, actually I do have one suggestion. I pop a bag of 94% fat free popcorn and nibble on the whole bag (which can take a looooong time) The whole bag has less than three hundred calories. Good luck to you.
  • jedday
    What are good 150 calories snacks? Like carrots and stuff like that?
    I work IT but the Nurse schedule is very close to mine that is for sure :)
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    you could always google :wink:
  • jedday
    Thanks, Is it sad that I work in IT and stink at finding things with google.
  • ktthompson2003
    ktthompson2003 Posts: 4 Member
    I work third shift at Walgreens. I'm pretty active at work but I still make sure I make it to the gym daily. My shift is 10p-8a and by 820 I'm at Golds Gym. I take ginseng for energy and green tea for caffeine to give myself a couple extra hours to be very active. I go home and have a nice lunch and get some sleep. Very boring routine but you just have to make it a habit. You work longer hours than me but you'd be surprised at how much energy you may have left. And as far as snacking I try to only bring fruits and sometimes cereal but since I work in a retail store so I have the potential to buy all kinds of crazy salty food :(
    I usually snack on something every 3 to 4 hrs and in between time chew gum. The sugar free gum allows me to get my sweet tooth kick and keeps my mouth stimulated so I'm not thinking about eating the other snacks. Hope this helps....
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    These are some of the snacks I bring to work ...

100 calorie cup hummus + 14 baby carrots = 135 cals.
    2 Wasa crispbreads + 2 light Laughing Cow cheese wedges + 2 cocktail tomatoes = 130 cals.
    100 calorie pack Wholly guacamole + 2 Wasa crispbreads + hard boiled egg = 240 cals.
    1/2 c 1% cottage cheese with cinnamon & splenda + 2 clementines = 160 cals.
    2/3 cup 0% Greek yogurt + strawberry purée = 150 cals.
    small salad with romaine, tomatoes, baby cukes, red onion + sliced boiled egg + dressing ...

I work shifts but only days and afternoons. I nibble on something about every 2 hours.
    I worked midnights for almost 2 years. I feel your pain.
  • jedday
    Great i will try that, can i get a discount on gum lol
    Thanks for the sacks
  • jedday
    You all have been very helpful Thank you So much for taking the time. Love this place!!!:smile:
  • bigcurt61
    bigcurt61 Posts: 51 Member
    Whwn I worked 3rd shift I would do 50 push-ups or 50 sit-ups every hour to stay active. If you can try this and make sure you set your watch for 60 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.