2»

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    MIL's............................ just smile sweetly and agree with her LOL
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    Well, I suggest you invite her to join MFP and by all of our calorie burns, we can all prove to her that YES! You can burn calories by walking!

Also, many years ago, I would walk 5 miles in the morning before work, and 5 miles after work EVERY DAY and I went from 167 pounds to 144 pounds and I went from a size 18 to a size 8. Then I got pregnant.......dun, dun, dunnnnnnnnnn! :bigsmile:
  • rebeccaoneillcarter
    Options
    walking and running the same distance burns a similar amount of calories, just takes twice as long! Walking is a great way to say "F it, I need to burn these calories but I don't feel like being exhausted!"

I agree with this comment!
  • skinnygirlfreed
    Options
    Ha! My doctor told me recently that he recommended walking over running because it burns more FAT(score!). Apparently running burns through your glycogen before dipping into the fat - whereas walking (at target heart rate - 65%) will be burning fat!

I walk & run, and BOTH burn calories. Like someone said earlier - it just takes longer to burn calories walking.......
    Get that heart rate up - and you're golden! :)
  • jadee76
    jadee76 Posts: 29
    Options
    Walking is great, but a skinny friend of mine told me that all the health mags say that you don't burn as many calories. I looked it up and doing the same amount of time on the elliptical, I can burn double the calories. I love to walk, but at the gym I prefer the higher calorie burn.
  • careygrp
    careygrp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have her wear a pedometer I use bodybugg I burned over2000 calories walking all day at the bob hope
  • careygrp
    careygrp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have her wear a pedometer I use bodybugg I burned over2000 calories walking all day at the bob hope
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have lost 61 pounds in less than 6 months. Walking is the on exercise I do, besides house cleaning. It has certainly worked for me. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Walking is AMAZING exercise! It has helped me loose 96 pounds! I can not wait for Spring to get here so I can get out and start walking agian. Your MIL was miss informed.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    oh Mother-in -Laws - why do they love to belittle us, correct us and put us down?
    seriously once you lose the weight and she asks you how you did it- just say- oh that - I walked- but it's not something for you -fterall it doesn't burn that many calories
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Your mother in law is wrong, or perhaps mislead.

Everything burns calories.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My most frequent exercise is walking and it seems to be working (and my pace is improving TREMENDOUSLY). So, I think it does, but don't count my meandering daily pace as exercise. I only count my intentional exercise.