incline walking vs. jogging

Options
I use a treadmill at home and recently I started to walk on an incline. My treadmill states that I burn approximately double the calories walking on an incline than I would burn jogging (around 4.8 mph) without an incline. So do you really burn more calories just walking on an incline? Would I burn even more calories running on an incline?

What is the optimal incline and speed combination to burn the most calories on a treadmill?

thanks! :)

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Yes you do burn more calories on an incline. I think the height and speed add to mine. I do intervals of jogging and incline. When I do the incline I feel it on the back of my legs. (I incline to 10 for a minute or two then go back down.

I suppose if you were to jog and an incline of 4 you would get the best of both worlds.

Good luck.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do burn more calories. Your body has to work in a completely different way so it's working harder. Just think of how much harder it is hoofing it up a hill versus walking downhill... or think of driving up a hill versus on a level road or going down a hill. It takes more power to go up. I don't like walking on an incline, kills my ankles.
  • mommashelbs
    Options
    Hm ...interesting. I always walk on an incline --my incline is usually between 4-6 and my speed is usually between 3.5-4. With that, I burn around 250 calories within 40 minutes. I'm not sure how accurate my treadmill is, though.