frustrated and stressed

Options
I am an extremely busy university student. Between my eight classes this semester (it's that hellish part when the end of midterms and the beginning of finals start to blend into one big mass of stress) and my extracurricular activities that keep me locked in meetings at least three times a week or committed to volunteering activities like volunteering at a soup kitchen once a week...I just can't find the time to eat properly!!

I have no time to go grocery shopping regularly since I have to commute by bus and then carry everything I buy the 15 minute walk between my apartment and the bus stop...It's an over two hour excursion...but at least it's a good workout lol. I only have a mini-fridge with no freezer (campus residence sucks!) So I can't keep frozen veggies and fruit on hand and have practically no room for much food at all. I have been keeping on schedule with my workouts since they're in the morning and I work out with friends who make me keep on track....

So what happens is I run out of fresh (healthy) foods quickly and don't have much time to cook even when I do have the right foods around. I find myself frequently skipping meals because I'm too stressed and forget to eat or have nothing that's quick enough to throw in my bag on my way to class... When I do have time to eat (which is when I'm to the point that I'm so hungry I'm feeling weak) my body craves carbs and sweets to fill it up quickly and I end up eating the wrong things...

I know that my eating habits are only adding to my stress and NOT helping me get into triathlon-ready shape...but the problem is I really don't know how to fix it!! Does anyone have any suggestions??

Replies

• lauralu
    Options
    I am an extremely busy university student. Between my eight classes this semester (it's that hellish part when the end of midterms and the beginning of finals start to blend into one big mass of stress) and my extracurricular activities that keep me locked in meetings at least three times a week or committed to volunteering activities like volunteering at a soup kitchen once a week...I just can't find the time to eat properly!!

I have no time to go grocery shopping regularly since I have to commute by bus and then carry everything I buy the 15 minute walk between my apartment and the bus stop...It's an over two hour excursion...but at least it's a good workout lol. I only have a mini-fridge with no freezer (campus residence sucks!) So I can't keep frozen veggies and fruit on hand and have practically no room for much food at all. I have been keeping on schedule with my workouts since they're in the morning and I work out with friends who make me keep on track....

So what happens is I run out of fresh (healthy) foods quickly and don't have much time to cook even when I do have the right foods around. I find myself frequently skipping meals because I'm too stressed and forget to eat or have nothing that's quick enough to throw in my bag on my way to class... When I do have time to eat (which is when I'm to the point that I'm so hungry I'm feeling weak) my body craves carbs and sweets to fill it up quickly and I end up eating the wrong things...

I know that my eating habits are only adding to my stress and NOT helping me get into triathlon-ready shape...but the problem is I really don't know how to fix it!! Does anyone have any suggestions??
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That is a tough spot. When I get busy I don't even get up for water.
    Sounds like you need to carry your daily food with you all day.

I now try to keep a water bottle in my pack, and a water stash in the car. When a hamburger is calling me, I have a good slug of water first. Usually it stops the urge.

How about a bag of mini carrots? (But don't OD on their sugar.)
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I am on my way to bed and just happened to see this.
    I know space it a problem. My son’s dorm room was really tiny. He had a small frig as well so I understand that also.
    Just quickly off the top of my head. There are a lot of fresh veggies and fruits that don’t need to be kept in the frig like apples, pears, oranges, bananas etc…. They would be easy to eat on the go. You can wash the apples, pears etc…. and put in a zip bag then carry in your back pack till needed. The oranges you can either cut in sections or peal and put in a zip bag. You can do the same with grapes….get the pictures… You can do the same thing with a lot of fresh veggies.
    As for protein there are small cans of chicken that are good too. You can toss that in your book bag along with some crackers and fruit. Peanut butter is also good and keeps well with out refrigeration. Make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and carry it with you. And don’t for get yogurt. It is small and won’t take up much space in your frig either. There are lost of 100 calorie pack snacks out there too. And don’t forget about the meal bars. I carry them in my purse all the time. You can eat them anywhere you can also eat them while you are walking. Most importantly don’t forget to drink your water that is a must no matter what. And it will help with the hunger. A lot of times when we think we are hungry we are really thirsty.
    I hope this helps you. I will try and think of more and post them tomorrow.
    Good Luck!
    Loretta :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    you definitely have a dillema here. I know your life is hectic, so I feel like you should carve out 2 times per week (since you don't have a big fridge, you probably can't store enought food for a full week.) to get some good food, and prepare it so it's portable.

Foods like carrots, grapes, triscuts, cheese, chicken, beef jerky nuts, beans, all things that can be cooked (or stored raw in the case of the fruits and cheese) are good to get. get some baggies or the 1 time use glad containers that can seal and fit in your bag (what ever is better space wise in your fridge). 1 thing to remember is protein with be a big help with the carb issue. Protein takes a long time to metabolize and keeps you full longer then some other foods (I.E. bad carbs), plus it's good to have before you work out. You take 2 - 3 hours 2 times a week and prepare 3 to 5 ready to eat snacks, then you can eat them when ever, on the bus, in class...etc. I know this isn't perfect, and you may still steal a few bad meals here and there, but it will keep the cravings down. And always try to eat something in the morning to help your metabolism get a kickstart. I like the Quaker Weight Control oatmeal, only 160 calories, and it gets me off and running and literally only takes 3 minutes to prepare.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You're a busy bee!

How about asking your friends to help you.
    Maybe have a get together, cook up some easy and fast meals/snacks so you can grab on the go and stock up.

Loretta & Banks is right... have servings veggies and fruits in ziploc bags so you can grab on your way out. You have to start eating.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips so far. Don't forget about those awesome new tuna packs that are ready to eat. I don't even do anything with them, just put my spoon in. The protein is great. Apples w/peanut butter is great too. I also bring cheese sticks with me sometimes. That with an apple and a couple of triscuits and I am good to go!

I don't normally go to warehouse stores, but I know if you can they often have restaurant or little store type packaging, such as jelly and peanut butter packs and other single serving type of foods.

And even though it isn't 'fresh', you can always keep some of the single serving fruit packs that are available too. It's not as good as fresh, but stores easily.

The biggest thing is to try to take it easy on yourself. You have enough going on (I've been there and done that as well and fully remember being fairly insane). The workouts are a great way for you to release some tension. Keep it up girl - your doing great!
  • lauralu
    Options
    Thanks everyone :smile: These suggetions are all really great... I'll have to try getting to the grocery store more often and start looking for things that are individually packaged or can be left out of the fridge...I think that's my biggest downfall