How do you cook your asparagus?

Options
2»

Replies

• RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just put them on the George Foreman and put a little butter on them after they come off and they are great!
  • gbtesq
    gbtesq Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I bought asparagus for the first time yesterday for tomorrow's dinner and I was going to have to figure out what to do with it, too. :-)
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I break off the bottoms where they naturally break.

then put them on a cookie sheet/shallow baking pan.

I pour a little olive oil on them with some Balsamic vinegar (just a little) and sprinkle with salt. THen kind of toss them with my hands. Lay them out in a flat layer.

I broil them under the broiler until they are done to my taste and they come out great.

I can't eat mushy or steamed asparagus just can't do it.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I cook mine at 400 degrees for 7-8 minutes. I roll it in olive oil and sometimes sprinkle with a bit of grated parmesan cheese. I don't know why yours turned out shriveled BUT I do know that asparagas is either a hit or miss. You can get good ones or bad ones. You will know the difference because the bad ones can be stringy. I LOVE it thought and cook it all the time.

You have to snap off the bottoms though. Snap them and they will break where they are supposed to.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO much! I will definitely be trying some of these later in the week, and more next week! The lemon pepper sounds really good...will have to find that at the store!
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    Options
    The only asparagus recipe I've had contains an insane amount of olive oil and salt so I don't cook them that way anymore, but I did come across a fabulous WW recipe for Asparagus Frittata the other day. It was really yummy and easier to cook than it looked.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i simply steam mine - put it in a skillet on med hi temp with a tablespoon or so of water and cover it for about 3 - 7 minutes depending on how soft or crisp you like it.
  • LifeChef
    Options
    If it's thin asparagus, I just saute in a little olive oil for just a few minutes. If it's thick asparagus I blanch it for 3-4 minutes then saute or bake. One thing about asparagus is you really have to cut off the woody ends. (wherever the stalk naturally breaks is where the woody end begins) And like artichokes, brussels sprouts and some other greens, if you overcook them it releases a sulfur and will spoil the taste. Good luck with your next batch of asparagus! :-)