are there any computer savy people on here?

Belle_Fille
Belle_Fille Posts: 469
edited September 23 in Chit-Chat
My computer died the other day after I uploaded scanner software from my father who SWORE it was the correct software for the scanner. WRONG.

Well we seem to have gotten most of the bugs fixed except one. I cannot use GOOGLE CHROME. i can use IE, or firefox. but both are tremendously slow and neither will allow me to upload my photos. I need my chrome back!

I have uninstalled, and reinstalled it several times and when i go to pull it up, it is either blank, and wont go to another page if i type in a web address. or it goes all black and does that OH SNAP! thing. and every now and then it says the page is unresponsive. and asks if i want to kill the page or wait.

What do i do?

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    i don't think installing the wrong software would do this.... you could have a virus. if you're on a PC, microsoft has a free virus scanner that you might want to try http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-in/default.htm -- it's worked for me when others did not. good luck.
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    I am far from computer savvy, but mine did that once and someone told me to restore my computer to an earlier date when it did work and it seemed to fix my problem. Hope it helps!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    I would agree with trying to restore your computer to an earlier date. My other suggestion would be to download Spybot Search & Destroy and scan your computer for any spyware, malware, or other issues and fix them.
  • i don't think installing the wrong software would do this.... you could have a virus. if you're on a PC, microsoft has a free virus scanner that you might want to try http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-in/default.htm -- it's worked for me when others did not. good luck.
    if its not the right software for your computer it will.
  • I am far from computer savvy, but mine did that once and someone told me to restore my computer to an earlier date when it did work and it seemed to fix my problem. Hope it helps!
    that was the first thing i tried. and it didnt work. but i havent trid it since we got the other problems fixed...so maybe ill try again
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    user jedday just said in a post he works in IT...look him up :wink:
  • You need to make sure your Un-installing the program completly , Google chrome has many different variations , so It can be difficult to make sure you have completly UN-installed it. I would search your control panel where you can Un-install software , and delete anything that looks like it might be assc. with Google chrome. Usally when you delete the entire software your computer will have to restart to make sure the changes you made are 100% done. Good luck , Hope you get it back up and running.
  • I am far from computer savvy, but mine did that once and someone told me to restore my computer to an earlier date when it did work and it seemed to fix my problem. Hope it helps!

I'd run some virus scans/cleanup first. Then I'd go ahead and restore it to a previous date as well. It sounds like a virus...not necessarily wrong software...Perhaps corrupt software...
  • SirJFK
    SirJFK Posts: 49 Member
    Well, seeing as its what i do every day, here is what I would do. Check your system restore for a Date/ time that matches when you installed the software. Most apps will set a restore point upon installation. if there is not such a time then 1st uninstall the software, do NOT just pick the closest date before you installed the Scanner software. and see if that gets your Chrome working, b/c hey Chrome is the best! as a last resort is when you would set the restore point to a week before. a good hint is to google any error messages if they pop up as they will usually tell you what could be causing things. Personally unless you copied the software from your dad's USB Stick or got it from him thru email, messenger etc then its most likely not a virus, but has broken Chrome. couple questions for you.

What antivirus do you have installed?
    how did you get the software?
    you've already run a system restore, but did you uninstall the scanner software? if not, do so then uninstall Google Chrome...google anything really! then run my #2 software to clean the registry... then try installing G chrome again

I use 2 programs religiously and they have never let me down
    1.) Malwarebytes AntiMalware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

2.) IOBits Advanced System Care free: http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=button. This software will clean up your pc (spyware tool is weak, but registry cleaner, junk files etc are solid apps)

Make sure you update to the latest versions and Dat files.

let me / us know how is goes

John
This discussion has been closed.