Help with popcorn...

Options
DTetz
DTetz Posts: 109 Member
I can not for the life of me figure out how many calories are in popcorn, the box is so confusing and the database has so many choices that are way different the another (I am looking for butter lovers) Can anyone explain to me or help me? It says 2 TBSP unpopped 150... then it says 1 cup popped 25... It says a serving size is 2 TBSP unpopped which is about 5 cups popped and it says that there are 2 servings in a bag... there for if I ate the whole bag of popcorn that would be 250 calories???? UGH

Replies

• usmcpatience
    Options
    Popcorn is really confusing. I mean, why bother write what the unpopped calories are! Who the hell eats unpopped popcorn!!! Anyway, I'd say, that if it says ONE cup of popped popcorn is 25 calories, I'd go by that. So if you ate the whole bag (Constituting ten cups of popped popcorn) I'd go with that if I were you. Good luck! I always get confused by these things too!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    From what I found online for Butter Lovers...
    Full bag is 400 calories
    22.5g of fat
    carbs 47.5
    protein 5g

serving is 1 cup
    cal 36.7
    fat 2.3
    sat fat .5
    sodium 70 mg

Hope that helps
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Ya,it is confusing. I buy a box that I can understand, I think it is made by Jolly time and it says right on the box that the bag is100 calories---plain and simple enough for me; otherwise, ya, its baffling.
  • jedday
    jedday Posts: 119
    Options
    What kind of popcorn is it.. (btw love homestyle, pop secert)
  • DTetz
    Options
    Next time I will look for these LOL
  • DTetz
    Options
    Its Weaver and I was wrong its Extra butter, not butter lovers.
  • Winty66
    Options
    Thank you so much for your post on popcorn. I felt so guilty for eating it yesterday. Now I know that it was the perfect thing to help me feel full without eating much.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've always multiplied the servings per bag by the number of calories in a serving (popped) to get the amount for the whole bag. Is that wrong?
  • rhenneberry
    Options
    What I do is select the brand of popcorn from the database then where you pick the portion I select the entire bag from the dropdown. If I know I ate half the bag of popcorn then I enter .5. I use the same method for when I cook mac and cheese. Hope that helps.
  • jedday
    jedday Posts: 119
    Options
    Serving Size: 1 BAG, Calories: 260, Fat: 11g, Carbs: 3g, Protein: 0g
  • chrysnel
    Options
    I just buy plain popcorn kernels, throw about 1/3 cup into a paper lunch bag, and put in the microwave and cook until the popping slows down. Then I melt a bit of coconut oil and pour it over top. Then I just have to calculate the plain popcorn and the amount of oil. So much cheaper, healthier, and easier to calculate! :)